What Happened to Teddy Tonks? | Teen Ink

What Happened to Teddy Tonks?

May 5, 2019
By kcornell13 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
kcornell13 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Aim for the moon. If you miss, you might just hit a star."


After Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks died in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1992, their newborn baby son, Teddy, stayed with his grandmother, Andromeda until he was five and a half years old.

More tragedy struck Teddy Tonks when he was five and a half in 1997. Andromeda fell ill with a muggle sickness that the wizards at St. Mungo’s couldn’t cure. She passed away in her sleep, holding Teddy’s hand as he slept in a cot next to her.

Fortunately, Teddy never caught the strange muggle illness like his grandmother. He was sent all over the place, living with different members of the Order of the Phoenix. He lived with Harry and Ginny Potter for a couple of years, but they were preoccupied. They’d just married, and were trying to have children. Ron and Hermione were going through a similar thing, so he moved from place to place until he turned 11. He was shipped off to Hogwarts in 2003.

Teddy would spend the winter holidays with whoever would take him, and mostly spent Easter holidays at school. He felt unwanted wherever he went. During his 3rd year, Harry and Ginny had James Sirius Potter, and Ron and Hermione had their daughter, Rose, during his 4th year. Now that they had children, he wasn’t needed.

Teddy made only a few close friends at Hogwarts, but they all abandoned him by their 6th year. Teddy’s obsession over their O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s scared them all away. It was very important for Teddy to get good grades because he wanted to be an auror or professor like his parents.

Teddy went solo from those years on. He graduated as a prefect and Head Boy of his year, and later became an auror. He retired young and returned to Hogwarts to be a professor. Teddy frequently received letters and Christmas cards from his family, but never an invitation to visit.

Teddy later developed depression from his feeling of forgotten-ness and lack of parenting figures during his life. He lead a similar life to Harry, but he never had parental figures who were there for him, or close friends who stuck with him.

Teddy committed suicide in 2019, when he was only 27.


The author's comments:

Edward "Teddy" Tonks was the son of Nymphadora Tonks, a famous auror, and Remus Lupin, one of Harry Potter's DADA teachers. Nymphadora and Remus died in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1992, shortly after Teddy was born. He was raised by his grandmother, Andromeda. This is the story of what happened after.