Phone Call | Teen Ink

Phone Call

By S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other

"After all, tomorrow is another day" -- Scarlett O'Hara

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" -- Romeo

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." -- Stephen Leacock

I hang up the phone, you are too busy to talk. I feel like I'm bothering you, but you promised to call back. You've made the same promises in the past but broke them all. And yet, I am looking forward to the call that may never come.

You are never enthusiastic on the phone, and always the first to hang up. Am I no longer important? Everything I tell you, you just answer with an "uh-huh". Don't you like to share with me anymore?

Remember the fun we had last year, before high school started? Remember I was the new girl, and you approached me with a smile. Where is that smile now? I can't even hear it in your voice, but I do hear a distant bore. Now, we're heading towards separate ways, and have new friends. But I remember that you have the most in common with me. Where have the talks of books and walks to the library gone?

I call you just once in about three months. Three months, all I ask for is an easy, fun conversation with you.

But you don't know, when I feel lonesome, I want to pick up the phone and dial your number, see what you are up to. However I don't, I don't want to bother you too often. And yet the few times I do call you, you are still bothered. I wish we could be int he same school, I wish you wouldn't dismiss me, even if you have no knowledge of this. I wish everything said about friendships was true, that they never die, never. But look here, ours is dying, and I want to save it. There is a chance, it's not completely over. If you keep you promise, I shall tell you everything I'm thinking now. And you'd understand.

Now is ten, the phone ran many times but not for me. I sit quietly on the sofa, watching the phone, still hopeful. Please call me, and save our friendship.

Now is ten fifteen, my hopes fall. You are not going to call me. You forget to, because I'm not important enough.

Another promise broken.

Miaoru said...
Miaoru, Sunnyside, New York
I really like this piece! Great job!

S.S.Y. GOLD said...
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other

Thanks so much!

okeydokey SILVER, Cle Elum, Washington
wow. you're really good. i like how you go into detail, but you wrap it up fairly quickly without seeming like you stopped in the middle of a conversation. good work =)