Do you feel fear? | Teen Ink

Do you feel fear?

By rikkeedoodle BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
rikkeedoodle BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and... ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles"- Doctor Who

They said that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. But that didn’t happen to me. I didn’t see my brother or my mother, I didn’t see what made my life mine and unique. All I saw was darkness. The Void, I called it. In the void there was nothing. Everything was nothing, nothing was everything. I walked around on it’s invisible solid floor, my eyes adjusting the darkness. I looked down at the only thing I could see that was dark. My body. I didn’t hurt anywhere, my wounds from the accident had vanished. When I met my end, i didn’t feel anything. Well, anything other than a short burst of pain, then I felt like I was on air. I raked my fingers through my hair, looking around shouting for anyone to hear me until my voice went hoarse. It never did. That’s when I finally came to terms that I wasn’t alive anymore. Just the newest resident to the black Void of the thing called death.

I continued walking, shouting louder and louder. My walk turned into a jog. My jog turned into a run. It felt as though I couldn't run fast enough. It didn’t help that I couldn’t see anything. That I couldn’t see ghosts that followed me to nowhere. I was calm for some bizarre reason. You just get killed and you’re calm? It was a weird feeling, like nothing mattered in the world anymore.

I wasn’t stressed, I wasn’t worried. I was just me. A version of me where no troubles weighed on my shoulders. Where things were calm and pleasant. A version of me where I wasn't too sure if I existed or not.  As I continued to walk in no direction, I was sure I heard a soft sound of patter. Footsteps. Someone was following me in the Void. I jerked my head around, panicking for my dead life. I felt a numbness where my heart use to lay. I know it would've been beating out of my chest if I was alive. I broke into a faster sprint than before, "adrenaline" fueling my system. I stopped once to footsteps had faded away. It was all in my head. I was imagining of scenarios worse than what was actually happening. I put my hand on my chest, expecting my heart beating fast, but what I found confirmed my expectations. There was nothing beating below the skin, no blood running through my veins. I bet if there was light, I would be ghastly like a ghost. I am a ghost. I was alive. I was something more than a label on a tombstone. I fell to the empty floor as fear overcame my senses, curling my legs against my chest. I breathed my airless oxygen, waiting for something to happen but nothing did.

Nothing did. Nothing did for ages. Nothing did for eternity. I was living in a world of emptiness for the rest of my existence. If you could call this prison of darkness my existence. It was only a way to fuel the fear in my mind.

I was just a dead girl who feared the dark.

This is a more edited version of an old piece I wrote.