Devil's Play | Teen Ink

Devil's Play

By Ian_S. GOLD, Chappaqua, New York
Ian_S. GOLD, Chappaqua, New York

Devil's Play

A short and thin looking woman stood silent, the face hidden by her cloak. The figure scurried up the ladder. A final scream came from her victim and the sweet music of the violin rang in the stranger's ears. Agile as the cloaked stranger was, jumping roof to roof of houses, the local security ran towards the bloody scream, only to realize that they would be too late. The hood fell back, revealing a wrinkle-free face. Her hair waved back and forth, rippling slowly. Her short nose didn't seem to fit with her big sparkling eyes, looking out into nothing, as if she was'possessed but no one would ever know what her motives were.
A howl rose in the early night as she rushed off to her next victim.

'I need Madison and you to drop this basket of foods to Mr. Brown and this money!'

'Mother'You might as well have him move in if we're always bringing him stuff,' Madison replied to her mother.

'You know very well it's not my position to ask,' The mother replied to the fifteen-year-old twins, William and Madison. William was already ahead of Madison. They walked the empty dark cobblestone streets. No horse carriages were out at this time of night, now that there was so much danger. Silence was in the night, except for the quiet howl of the wind. It was eerie with the street's usually dull color turning to a white shine from the full moon. Even Madison and William's brown hair seemed to glow an unidentifiable color. Most lights were on in houses but dimmed, few candles lit at this time.

'Let's hurry'I don't like it at this time. Especially with that murderer running around,' Madison told William.

'You scared? I could take her on! I'd save us all,' he laughed.

'You don't really think that?' she asked.

'Of course I do! The only reason this woman is winning is because she's got the element of surprise,' he said as he ripped a wanted poster off a street wall.

'You're an idiot,' Madison told him. 'You'll get yourself killed that way.' They arrived at Mr. Brown's quaint, old house soon after their small chat.

Without knocking, William walked inside. He wasn't surprised that it was unlocked. Madison looked to the left and saw a now broken small table with one of the few candles on top of it. William grabbed it.

'We have to remind him to lock his door. He is so forgetful at his old age'Just last week he asked where is wife was. And I had to tell him she died four years ago,' Madison stated to William quite loudly. 'I'll go to the kitchen and put this bread basket on the counter'and the money! You go tell Mr. Brown we dropped off some food and money. I'll be there, shortly after.' Madison left William to wander upstairs to find Mr. Brown. He went up the creaky stairs.

'William'' said a weak voice from the bedroom.

'Mr. Brown'we brought you some stuff,' William shouted so that Mr. Brown could hear him. Caught off guard, William was shoved to the ground and before he knew it a knife was at his throat with a short woman laughing. The candle and its holding plate fell to the floor and the fire was extinguished. 'I'm not scared of you!' He kicked her and ran toward the bedroom but she tackled him to the ground, William rolling around with her on the ground, trying to gain the advantage. Though he may have been stronger than her, she was faster and more skilled. She was deadly. Her knife just missed his hand as he rolled away from her. He glanced at Mr. Brown's bloody arm, not a severe injury. William felt his cheek sting as he had a second to rise up.

Once again though, a knife was found at his throat and he knew she was merciless. Her hood was now down and he could see her face, which was unrecognizable, especially without much light. What were this girl's motives? Bang! The murderer's eyes rolled back as she slumped to the floor and Madison dropped the heavy iron pan.

'Come on! We need to get Mr. Brown to a doctor!' Madison exclaimed, hands shaking, tears welling up in her eyes.

BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

Wow, you are an amazing writer! This is really good, suspenseful, and creative!

on Jun. 7 2009 at 12:03 am
*LunaNight* GOLD, Staten Island, New York
fantastic...

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

hey ian. You commented on my poem, Heartbroken a while ago and made some suggestions. I just wanted to thank you, because it is going to be published in a book soon! so i made some changes you suggested to make it ready for print. thanks soooooo much!!!!!!

bluejay31 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
I really like this story. Very suspensful. Keep it up.