Fallen | Teen Ink

Fallen

December 23, 2015
By jeniferramires8 SILVER, Chowchilla, California
jeniferramires8 SILVER, Chowchilla, California
8 articles 7 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up


The feeling of sadness and madness overcomes me as I watch the view of the motionless city ,Houston. Cars tipped over on the roads below.Smoke filled the air. No blinking lights or any source of energy was shown. Only screams, music, and motorcycles are normally heard in the city. Two months since the Justifiability Fire had taken over the world. The sticky feeling of my whole body got to me after the workout. Five feet six inches was my height. Strong long legs for long distance and sprinting, average muscular arms, flat abs, boy cut dark brown hair, and fair tan skin. All the features of a perfect fit person. I remove my  hands from the glass window as the darkness surrounds the fallen city and walk into the room watching my group while they got ready to sleep to gain a bit of energy for the big day tomorrow. “Ember can I sleep with you?”Octavia asks. Poor girl lost her mother only seven years of age its my duty to take care of her no matter what happens. “ Yes I already told you all the time you want.”I tell her while moving her red hair out of her face. I gaze at her while she walks away to the mattress on the floor.  I feel a tap on my shoulder.” Amber is level one cleared?” William asks as he pushes his glasses inward. “ It is all ready to go ,Rob and I ran through it.” I say.  “ Yeah sure Ember we both did it.”Rob yells sarcastically behind me. I roll my eyes and go through the sad,dark ,and  looking  concrete room filled of mattress. “Lights off in five!” I yell out. I see Octavia  tucked in, deep in sleep. I move my legs slowly to the mattress and when sitting down I slide my body down, bringing the blanket up to my chest. I turn my back to Octavia and reach for my front pocket. I look at the 3 inch  item I had found on level one. Examining its golden sharp five edges and five smooth surfaces. Each surface had a drawing.The bottom one was a shape of a tree,on the next an ocean,flames,dirt,and  a coin mark. I open my bag and knocked out. 
“Ember wake up, it's time!” Octavia says. With my eyes half open I stare at her with her bag packed already. Everyone else moans and wakes to her voice. I then pack my bag light, mostly of food,water, and weapons. I feel eyes on me when I strap my swords to my back. “Are you all really?”I ask all of them. They all nod.I watch over the nervous Hass family as they all kiss each other. Then I see Rob nodding at me, the signal to get going.
We step down to level 6 on the stairs, we keep progressing down the dusty stairs until we got to level one. “ Ready Rob?”I whisper to him. I slowly open the door as Rob goes out with a gun out.I go behind Rob as the rest follows quietly. Enterprise C.O the letters still good on the wall.Through the windows you could see everything destroyed. “Going outside now.”Rob whispers to all. The Fresh breeze reaches my skin as the horrible smell of smoke arises my nose.We sneak between cars to reach the bus for about what seemed a half mile.The Hass family pours the gasoline to the bus while we stand on guard in front of them, that’s when I notice in the window on the left side of us, a marking in black ink,the fire sign. “What does that mean?” Rob asks. “I don’t know and I don't want to find out.”I say looking at the hanged body inside the shop. An engine starts up behind me. “ Well I guess William will be driving then.”I say pushing Octavia to get on the bus.
As we advance in the school bus I notice on the middle of the road a line of a never ending wet substance. “Hey William stop.”I say  quickly getting out of the line. “What are you doing?” Rob madly says. The smell of gasoline catches my nose. “Everyone get off now!” I yell I run to Octavia and carry her out. “Ember!” Rob says. “It’s a trap  get off now!” I say I running into the alley, I turn and see the fire advancing in the middle of the road. “ Run!” Rob says meeting up with me. I see as Willian tries to save the bus by turning to the side only that the wheels catch the gasoline spread with it. The fire catches the bus. We jump behind the dumpster in the alley I feel the strong burning heat. “We should go now they will see the smoke and come.”Rob says. I nod and look ahead trying not to look back. I hold Octavia’s hand and ran through the narrow alley. The alley of mostly brick buildings actually looked clean only two bodies, we have seen while running I would close Octavia’s eyes each time we pass them. We have been jogging for 30 minutes straight. Octavia now on Rob’s back. “I think we should rest a little and start up again.” I yell back to Rob. I collapse down on a wooden crate next to the building. “Do you think someone might have made it?” Rob asks as he sets Octavia down next to me. “No it was too strong I mean like we even felt it a bit.”I say. “I’m hungry.”Octavia says.I get out three bars and hand them out to Octavia and Rob. “We need another plan  and no more vehicles.” I said while we all munch. “Yea I agree and since it's already going to get dark in a couple of hours we need to start looking for a place to stay the night.”Rob says. As soon as we are done, we start up again, but this time walking.The closed alley was soon coming to an end. “Wait there.” I say as I peer out at the street. “Rob yo,you gotta see this!”I say.Well the street was empty.The weird part was that each sidewalk there was bins with fire line up,but on the right of me the street was empty. “We can’t go back, they for sure will be there.”I say. Rob stares right into my eyes looking decision less. “It could be a trap.”I say. “let's take the fireside.” I finally say. We move to the fire street. “ Ahhhh.” Screaming ahead of  us.Rob shoves me into the empty shop near us. We jump over the two feet wall. I slide to my left and see motorcycles racing  while the guitar played behind them on a quad.Rob pulls my hand and points to a door behind us. I quietly grab Octavia and crawled to the half open door. “I think we should stay here for the night.” Rob's says. I gaze and see a small square red room with a black coach two other doors, one with a bathroom and the other a room. On top of the wall was a deer’s head with antlers. On the floor was a long blue mat. “Not bad for not trying.”Rob chuckles. “Ember I’m tired.”Octavia says. I open the room and  cover her with a blue fluffy blanket. “I’ll come in a bit.”I tell her. “We are so lucky.” I whisper to Rob. “Hey Ember look I’m sorry for doubting you in the beginning.” he takes my hand into his, his dark black eyes stare into mine. “ I would too, in that kind of  situation.” I back away from his grip , but he holds closer. “Hey I need to show you what I found the other day.”I say breaking his grip. I zip my bag and pull out the small Pyramid. “Wow that is amazing , but this side is empty.”Rob examines the object. I take it out of his reach. “The fire sign!”I say. I think back to the explosion on the bus and  the street.As my heart beats faster and faster. My body shakes and I soon lose my balance.  “Ember what's wrong?”He holds on to me. “Ember he…”  everything then turns into a burr and I see Rob Desperately shaking me.