Heart V. Brain | Teen Ink

Heart V. Brain

October 29, 2015
By CarolM. BRONZE, Fairfield, California
CarolM. BRONZE, Fairfield, California
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure." - Rowena Ravenclaw


The organs are certianly vital to the human body; life without them couldn't be possible. Each organ works tirelessly to allow it's host an easier life. 

Though the they seem to work at the same level, it is Brain who is the most important. Brain, sitting in the skull, holds the position for the high and mighty organ. No one else steps up to oppse the order. But there is always one bold enough to. 

Heart, the blood pump and symbol of love would think otherwise. Heart was responsible for all of the precious blood that flows through the very body they inhabited. The body would be dead without Heart. 

Besides the duties in the cardiovascular and blood system, Heart served as an icon for all things romance. Heart was mentioned in almost every Valentine's Day card, love letter, songs, and so on. People usually forgot about Heart's bloody job, being to busy devouring the heart-shaped chocolates. 

One day, Heart aproched Brain, ready to express. "Brain, why aren't I in your place? I pump the blood you and the others need to function. And I double-task as the icon of love. And don't say, 'It's because that's how the body was built.'"

Brain stayed silent. This wasn't the first time that Heart brought up the topic. Heart was yearning for Brain's spot; to be the most important, complex organ in charge of everything in the body.

But now that the thought was being pondered, was Heart right? Maybe Heart did belong in Brain's place, directing the highway of systems knitted across the body. 

Why wasn't this the case? And then the answer popped right in front of Brain. 

"Heart," Brain started. "You argue that you should take my place because of your status as blood pumper and the symbol of love, correct?"

"Correct," replied Heart, sure that the job was belonged to it now. 

Brain stayed silent once more, gathering words. "Your arguement seems valid. But there are flaws in every arguement."

A small flake of foreboding came upon Heart.

"Yes, you are a rather important organ. Yes, you pump vital life fluid. But that's it. You're too fragile, too vital to lose."

Brain continued. "A rib could puncture your skin, you could get stabbed, your arteries could get clogged; there are too many things that could happen. And taking the strain of managing all of the systems in the body could tire you out, to the point where you stop beating. And we can't let that happen."

Brain plowed through. "As for me, I can handle the stress. I was built to be durable and tough. Not you." 

Brain's words had stung Heart. They swirled before it, a mess of truth that Heart wanted to forget. 

"Well, then You're right about my strucutre. But what about me being the icon of love? Romance? A very infulencal force."

Brain stayed silent for a few moments. "What does being a love icon have to fo with being the high and mighty organ?"

"The heart is more powerful than the mind," Heart replied with triumph. 

"You're right. But does the wish of a heart ever lead to good things?"

"Of course. The combining of two families, forming the next generations, filling life with warmth and love." 

"Did you know that love can lead to foolish acts?"

The foreboding sense from before returned to hang over Heart like a heavy cloack. 

"Like what?" Heart asked tenativley. 

"Early commintments, rash decisions, unnecessary drama. Love doesn't even have to be real to start that."

Heart was ready to counter Brain's arguement, but Brain inturptued. 

"Oh, but there's one more thing." Brain paused, making Heart wait in suspense and utter a squeaky, "What?"

"Death."

"Outrageous!" Heart roared, eager to defend itself.

"Really? Do you remeber that famous tradgedy Romeo and Juliet? Do you remeber how they were sure that they were each other's soulmates, meant to be? Do you remeber how they married within two days of meeting? And do you remeber what happened afterwards?"

Heart didn't answer, the confidence from before trickling out. 

"They killed themselves for love."

"But, they stopped a feud," Heart responded feebly. 

"Yes, that is true. But do you know why they ended the feud in that way?"

Heart only sighed in response, knowing that Brain was to remain in place. 

"They followed their hearts."


The author's comments:

You know, it's amazing what the product of a teacher-assigned prompt is. Just write what comes to you, and see what the brain, and maybe the heart, cooks up.