Hidden Treasure | Teen Ink

Hidden Treasure MAG

By Anonymous

   Inspired by Mr. Turner



A young boy of about ten years walked by a pet store. On the front window was a large sign. It read, "Puppies for sale." The young boy went in to take a look. In the corner in a small pen were eight little puppies. The boy carefully looked at all of them, examining their details. The owner noticed his customer and came over to assist him. The boy asked, "How much is the one in the corner?"

The owner quickly replied, "All puppies are two hundred and fifty dollars plus tax," then paused. "But you don't want that one. It has a bum leg. All the other ones are fine and healthy."

The boy ignored him and reached into his pocket with a sigh.

"All I have is a dollar and twenty-three cents. If you let me buy the puppy, I promise to pay the full amount in a few years."

"Kid, I will let you have him for the dollar and change. I probably won't be able to sell him anyway."

"No! The puppy is worth the full two hundred and fifty dollars."

"Listen kid, the pup is crippled. He won't be able to run fast or play around too much."

The boy paused and took a step back. He began lifting the right leg of his jeans slowly revealing a prosthetic leg. "Well sir, he and I are alike. I can't really run fast either, and we both could use a friend when everyone else gets ahead. I think he could use somebody who understands. I promise to pay the full amount."

With a look of embarrassment and a tear in his eye, the owner rung up the sale. He and the boy shook hands and the deal was made. 1