A twist of fate | Teen Ink

A twist of fate

By XxXDewritosXxX BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
XxXDewritosXxX BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"-Theodore Roosevelt

Judy was alone. Not in a physical sense; she had three young children to look after. Two boys, the twins, each 4 years old, and a newborn daughter, Jane. She resented the little brats for absorbing her life.  Emotionally, she had no one. Every non-partying moment was spent either taking care of them or working one of her two jobs in an attempt to gain some sort of financial security. Things would’ve been fine if Mitchell hadn’t left her, but he was too judgemental anyway. Who the hell divorces a woman for six affairs nowadays anyway? To spite him she’d demanded custody of the kids, and, against the odds, received it. Now she wished she had laid the little curses plaguing her life upon him. After one particularly strenuous day at work, she trudged into the kitchen, screaming at Jane to shut up and to cease her obnoxious symphony. The twins rushed to greet her, begging for food, but she shoved them to the side. She grabbed a bottle of wine from the refrigerator and took a prodigious gulp. As she turned back to the twins, she noticed something on the counter. A wallet. She hadn’t had a man over since last Thursday, she thought to herself before concluding that Mitchell had accidentally left it when he had dropped the kids off the prior day. Quickly, as if he might be on his way to retrieve it at any moment, she opened it to see if it had any money in it. She removed $250 and a lottery ticket from her ex-husband’s wallet. He always bought them on the thirteenth of the month. Said it was his lucky number. She didn’t take it too seriously until later that night when the lottery was announced. His ticket had won. She was ecstatic, jumping up and down as she rushed to claim her prize. She had big plans. She’d dump the kids on Mitchell and move somewhere nice, maybe buy a private jet, but hell, maybe she’d just go partying all night every night. Maybe a combination of the three. Either way, her life had changed for the better. At no time, however, had she considered the possibility that Mitchell could be driving to her house to reclaim his winning ticket after coming to the realization that he’d won.