Home Sweet Home | Teen Ink

Home Sweet Home

By brynelizabeth GOLD, Liberty Township, Ohio
brynelizabeth GOLD, Liberty Township, Ohio

My home isn't like the others.

My home has no parallel walls. It has no low ceiling. My home has no pretty chandeliers. It has no kitchen and no bedrooms.

My home isn't like the others.

My home has hundreds of chairs, all lined up in neat little rows. The front doors are heavy and wooden, and they swing wide so lots of people can come in.

My home isn't like the others.

My home has a family, but we're not actually related. My family is very big. We spend lots and lots of time together in our home. We love each other. But my family isn’t like other families either. Just like our home.

Our home isn’t like the others.

My home has dingy, faded wooden floors and big, red velvet curtains that are controlled by a series of ropes and pulleys. The curtains look even richer under the big lights. My home has lots of lights.

My home isn’t like the others.

You learn a lot lin my home. You learn how to use your voice, and how to dance. You learn how to sing so everyone in the house can hear you and how to sound pretty doing it. You learn a lot about yourself in my home. I think that’s the most important part.

My home isn’t like the others.

My home stands for creativity. It stands for expression. It stands for an art that has been dying for years but hasn’t given up yet. It stands for the strong people who keep that art alive. It lives for those people, and those people live for it.

My home is the stage.

And without it, I am nothing.

There’s no place like home.