Pretend | Teen Ink

Pretend

By HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California
HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California

"We accept the love we think we deserve"

For each time I open my eyes, it’s not the same world everyone else see’s. It’s like they’re all blind and I’m the only one who can actually see the truth. Behind dark red lies a passionate temptation that will only lead to misery. Following every stark blue leaves a thick trail of cold numbness; there is no sense of self. Bright’s like yellow and orange fuel rage with nasty lust, while mild greens give off a putrid sickness, all while turning everything into a violently violet shade of black. Here there is only love to mirror its’ counterpart; hate. This is all I see. I do not notice bus signs, or little small town novelty shops. Sometime gazing out at the grey blue ocean, I can see real things in its vast essence.
Once upon a time, I remember when things were not like this. I was able to go outside and see the world. Everything and anything I wanted. I lived and lived and lived. For nearly three centuries I walked this Earth, plagued it with my being. I scorched souls when they needed scorching. I gave love in the most abundant of forms to thousands of people. I gained power and strength from my long survival against something that was never supposed to exist.
I've come to realize over time that I have always been an abomination, right from the start. When I was a child, often I’d go out by myself. I’d venture around the towns square and meander into neighboring villages. When I reached my teen years, I went through a rough patch regarding my own existence. I knew I was different, that I didn't grow up like other people. I also knew that I always figured things out before they happened. At great times of emotional peak, I realized I was able to do great things with those emotions. With anger, my very touch was as smoldering as a fire. Excitement brought infectious happiness. Love gave me the ability to make anyone feel whatever I wanted them to. I was a goddess.
For years I manipulated people to do my biding and that they did. I swayed men and women, and they swooned. For my beauty was so radiant that at one mere sight of my appearance, I was worshiped. I took advantage of that. I do believe this last fact is why I am here, stuck in this cage, blind in total darkness. The color black only means one thing; death. Because of this I know I have to figure out a way to escape before my captor comes back.
When I first began to notice my powers fading, there was one power that grew and dominated over the others. I can see all of my surroundings in total darkness without difficulty, but only when I close my eyes. With my eyes shut, I notice that my cage is six feet by six feet. Standing straight up, my head is two inches from the ceiling bars. My ankles are chained to the cement floor. In the right corner a bowl of water sits on the floor. I quickly bend at the knee and grab the bowl. In one fervent gulp, I swallow all the water.
Opening my eyes once more, I find myself in bed. I had another one of those quirky dreams where I play a powerful goddess. Sometimes I wish I was actually her. But I’m just me a boring, plain human. I have no powers.