Ouija Anyone? | Teen Ink

Ouija Anyone?

November 21, 2014
By D.Tierney BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
D.Tierney BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again."

-Joel Osteen


The house was so old, Paul was surprised that it was still sturdy. The moon castes twisted shadows upon the ground. Bats flew everywhere making Paul use all of his self-control to restrain from screaming. One of his best friends, Andrew, didn't have enough self-control and started screaming his lungs out. Paul turned his head to see that Liz, Lucy and Sam staring at Andrew like he grew another head.
“Remind me why our families thought that this was a good vacation spot?” Paul asked Lucy, while looking back at the grownups admiring the “beauty of the house.”
“I have no idea. Thank god your little brother didn’t come with us Sam or we would have two Andrews,” Lucy said while grabbing Paul’s hand, giving him a little more courage. “Yeah, thank goodness. Our ears can barely handle one Andrew.” Sam said while giving the house another cautious look. “Andrew I swear if you don’t shut up I am going to dump you.” Liz finally snapped at her childish boyfriend. Andrew’s fear of losing Liz was greater than his fear of bats, and he clacked his mouth shut.
Paul looked around Sam, Andrew, and his room with a wrinkled nose. When was the last time this place was cleaned? Dusty, but clean bed sheets were on the beds, chests at the end of the bed were open and contained a few toys. Whoever stayed here last left in a hurry, because who the hell would leave what looked like a favorite teddy bear behind?  In the center of the wall was a square, four paned window with red stained glass.
“Well, this is cozy,” Sam said trying to lighten the mood and flopped down on the nearest bed. “Yeah right. I can’t wait to get back home to my nice cozy creep-free bed,” muttered Andrew taking the bed near the window. Paul flopped onto the middle bed at the same time that the girls burst into the room. “Holy crap! Don’t you guys know how to knock?” Liz just shrugged and grabbed a cardboard box that was poking out from under Sam’s bed. Lucy looked over her shoulder, “hmm… meet us in our room in ten minutes,” and they walked right back out.
“Why are we here again?” Andrew said as the girls ignited candles; the cardboard box lay in the middle of the room with the words Ouija board scrolled across the box. “Because we want to see if this thing really works,” Lucy said as she got the board out and sat next to Liz forming a complete circle. The girls placed their hand on the eye drop looking thing on the board and gestured for us to do the same. Paul didn’t like where this was going, but placed his fingers on top of the piece of wood.
“Is there a spirit in this house?” Liz said while staring at the board slowly the eye drop moved over the letters Y. E. S. Paul considered bail out now while the time was good, and by the look on Andrew’s face he was having the same thoughts. For a while the girls asked simple questions that had simple answers, until Sam decided that he was going to play tough guy. “Are you a good spirit or evil one?” As soon as the words left Sam’s mouth the piece of shot across the letter that spelled evil. That was the last straw for Andrew and Paul and they bolted out of the room, followed closely by Sam.
The boys stayed up almost all night sharing turns taking watch, having no desire to sleep with a evil spirit that could possibly kill them in their sleep. That was, until Andrew fell asleep. Shadows cast by the moon shifted around the room while it made its way to bed and the sun woke up casting new red shadows around the room.
When the boys woke up they found war paint on each other’s faces, no spare clothes to change out of their PJ’s into, and tacks in front of the door. “AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”
Their parents, who were already awake and having breakfast, ignored them, as if this was common, because for the most part it was. Lucy and Liz open the door, noticing the tacks and not stepping into the room, with what seemed to be bewildered looks.
“What on earth happened to you guys? Decided to have a coloring contest did you?” Lucy managed while staring at their face and Liz disappeared from view. “We are going hiking by the way.” Liz emerged with some of their dad’s clothes and hurled it at them, turned and called over her shoulder. “We are going hiking by the way. I’d pick up those tacks before you step on them.” Lucy right on her heels, trying not to laugh.
The day the awful vacation ended the boys were waiting outside the creepy old house watching the girls take their time laughing on the lawn. No matter how long they stayed up, things still disappeared until nothing was left, and the war paint now covered not only their faces, but their chests as well. Tree limbs seemed to bang harder against the house, and doors would randomly close and open.
They were just glad to be able to get away from this hell hole. Although whenever they mentioned these things to the girls they would say “Yeah Right,” and walk off. Everything that the spirit stole while they weren’t paying attention showed up, neatly stacked in their suitcases, in the car trunks. “What on earth!?!” That was all Paul could say.
“You guys are so gullible. I can’t believe that you really thought that the ghost was actually real,” Lucy managed before bursting into laughter yet again.


The author's comments:

A Gothic story about friends on vacation together, with their family's. School LA project.