The Devil Wears | Teen Ink

The Devil Wears

May 2, 2014
By Sienna Anglim BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Sienna Anglim BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Devil Wears Prada

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger may be one of my personal favorites of all time. Taking off with an average girl just looking to find her place, this book makes the audience want to see the main character strive. Andrea Sachs possesses the characteristics I believe a woman should have. She is strong, independent and does not care what other peoples think. I believe it focuses on important issues, for example what hard work can do for an individual. Andrea starts working for Miranda Priestly at Runway Fashion Magazine. However, she is far from a “fashionista”. Andrea sees comfort as more important than “pain is beauty”. This is where I believe the book struggles in its attempt to reflect reality. No high end fashion magazine would hire a woman who does not care about her own personal appearance. I find that to be extremely tacky and if I were to walk into the building of a fashion magazine, I expect to find every worker looking as if they jumped off the pages of the magazines themselves. This book was very clear and easy to follow however, I wish it had gone into more detail of the so called “terrible” jobs the main character had to endure. Saying her boss is “bossy” was the attitude portrayed by the character. Despite the flaws I only find minor, this book was put together well. The artistry was vivid in allowing the audience to imagine themselves in in the office of Miranda Priestly herself. When I read a book, I find it very important to be able to feel how the characters are feeling. I connected with Andrea and all around, I would recommend this book to readers looking for a story with a sense of hope for the protagonist.