The Gods of Ancient Greece | Teen Ink

The Gods of Ancient Greece

March 17, 2014
By Briahna SILVER, Lancaster, Ohio
Briahna SILVER, Lancaster, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mind over matter


Mount Olympus was where people believed the top 12 gods lived. One of these gods Zeus is the highest appreciated god there was in ancient Greece. The twelve gods are Zeus, Hera, hades, Poseidon, Athena, Ares, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Aphrodite, Demeter, and Hestia.

Zeus has three brothers and two sisters when cronos their father died the boys, Zeus, Poseidon, a hades divided the world each other Zeus took the heavens and the earth. Zeus was content with his section of the world. Now Zeus also had an extremely jealous wife named Hera. He also had a bunch of children. One of his sons is one of the twelve gods Apollo. Zeus adored his kids more than anything in the world. Each of his children had special powers, but their powers weren’t as strong as Zeus’s. He could throw his voice to make it sound like anybody else. The great Zeus could also shape shift he could look like anybody, why he was so good he could even shape shift into an animal. Zeus has also been known to throw a few lightning bolts her and there which are kept on his horse or Pegasus. Zeus also had a quick temper and a huge sense of humor. Zeus also had a great number of girlfriends which made Hera jealous. He was scared of nothing except Hera his jealous wife.

Hera was Zeus wife and she also lived on mount Olympus. Hera was the queen of all gods and goddesses and also the goddess of marriage. She was rarely nice to the children Zeus had had with other women. Pretty much everyone knew of Hera’s anger and jealousy of her powerful husband, Zeus.

Hades could have lived in mount. Olympus But he chose to live in the underworld where he ruled. When the sons of cronos split up the world hades chose the underworld, and he was extremely content. Hades was not the lord of death; his job was to rule the underworld. Parts of Hades HOME WERE NICE FOR HEROES AND PEOPLE WHO HAD LED GOOD LIVES, AND THEN THERE ARE THE NOT SO NICE PLACES Where THEY PEOPLE WHO LIVED WICKED AND CORRUPT LIVES WERE SENT. YOU WOULD THINK HADES WOULD BE A LONELY MAN BUT ALAS HE WAS NOT. HIS BROTHER ZEUS VISITED HIM OFTEN AS DID HIS NEPHEWS, APOLLO, HERMES, AND ARES. HADES CAME TO THE Surface EVERY NOW AND THEN USUALLY FOR THE MEETINGS OF ALL THE GODS AND GODDESSES; HADES WAS VERY HAPPY WHERE HE LIVED. HE HAD Every THING HE COULD EVER WANT, A TRUSTY COMPANION (3 HEADED DOG NAMED CERBERUS). HADES ALSO HAD A Golden CHARIOT AND AN INVISIBLE HELMET THAT HE ADORED.HADES ALSO HAD FELL IN LOVE ONCE, WITH THE EVER SO BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER OF THE GODDESS DEMETER NAMED PERSEPHONE. BUT ALAS THE TWO COULD NOT BE TOGETHER FOR DEMETER WAS THE GODDESS OF THE WEATHER AND WHEN DEMETER WAS SAD BECAUSE PERSEPHONE WAS HER HAPPINESS SO A DEAL WAS MADE PERSEPHONE HAD EATEN A FOOD FROM THE UNDERWORLD, SHE HAD TO BE DOWN THERE AT LEAST FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. IN THE MONTHS PERSEPHONE WAS AWAY IT BECAME WINTER WHEN SHE RETURNED ALL THINGS STARTED TO GROW AGAIN.


POSEIDON THE THIRD CRONOS’S SONS CHOSE THE SEA WHEN THE BROTHERS SPLIT THE WORLD BETWEEN THEMSELVES. HE WAS A RATHER GOOD LOOKING GUY, WITH DEEP BLUE EYES AND HAIR WITH A TINT OF GREEN. POSEIDON WAS A RESTLESS MAN WHO WAS ALWAYS BUSY. HE WAS SUCH A POWERFUL PERSON THat WITH THE SLIGHTEST MOTION OF HIS HAND POSEIDON COULD CREATE AN ISLAND. THE GREEKS WERE TERRIFIED OF HIM AND IN MOST OF THE COASTAL CITIES A TEMPLE WAS BUILT TO HONOR HIM.PEOPLE BROUGHT GIFTS EVERY AS AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE HIM PLEASED AND HAPPY. SOMETIMES THE OFFERINGS WOULD WORK SOMETIMES THEY JUST DIDN’T. POSEIDON WAS AN EXTREMELY MOODY MAN. BUT HE ALSO HAD MANY WIVES, POSEIDON DIDN’T HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS HIS BROTHER ZEUS FOR HIS MAIN WIFE DIDN’T SOW THE SLIGHTEST SIGN OF JEALOUSY AT ALL.

ATHENA THE GODdESS OF WISDOM WAS BORN WITHOUT A MOTHER, SHE CAME RIGHT OUT OF ZEUS’S BRAIN. AND IF ZEUS HAD TO PICK ATHENA WOULD HAVE MOST LIKELY BEEN HIS FAVORITE.BECAUSE SHE WAS A GODDESS ATHENA ALSO HAD A SEAT IN MOUNT OLYMPUS. NOW BACK THEN EACH CITY-STATE HAD A GOD OR Goddess TO WATCH OVER THEM. ATHENA AND HER UNCLE POSEIDON BOTH WANTED TO WATCH OVER THE TINY CITY OF ATHENS.THEY BOTH AGREED THAT WHOEVER GAVE ATHENS THE BEST GIFT WOULD WIN. POSEIDON GAVE ATHENS A STREAM THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL BUT WHEN THE TOWNSPEOPLE TRIED IT THE WATER WAS SALT WATER. ATHENA GAVE THE TOW OLIVE TREES THAT WERE GOOD FOR EATING AND COOKING. IN THE END ATHENA WON AND POSEIDON GLADLY ADMITTED HIS Defeat.
ARES WAS THE SON OF ZEUS AND HERA. HE WAS MEAN AND ENORMOUSLY SELF CENTERED, YET TALL AND HANDSOME. TRAVELED WITH SIDEKICK SPIRIT DISAGREEMENT AND FOUR OTHER SPIRITS, PAIN, PANIC FAMINE, OBLIVION. ARES DIDN’T REALLY CARE WHO WON A WAR HE JUST DIDN'T WANT TO SEE BLOODSHED. MANY PEOPLE AND GODS STAYED AS FAR AWAY FROM ARES AS THEY COULD BECAUSE HE ONLY CAUSED TROUBLE. HIS OWN FATHER ZEUS DECLARED HIS HATRED TOWARDS HIS SON.

APOLLO WAS TWINS WITH ANOTHER GODDESS WHO YOU WILL LEARN OF LATER. APOLLO WAS A MAGICAL CHILD. HIS Father was the almighty god Zeus. His mother who he was extremely protective of went by the name of Leto. Apollo was the well-known god of music reason and light. His chariot carried the sun each day.

Artemis is the daughter of the great Zeus and Leto. She was very different from her brother though it doesn’t take much to make her angry. Artemis was never always a cold and pit less goddess. Besides her family Artemis’ favorite thing in the world besides her family is floppy eared dogs. Artemis is the goddess of the hunt and of the moon.

Hermes was Zeus’ youngest son. It was obvious even as a baby he was going to be a fun, mischievous person. Zeus wanted his son to have an important job. Hermes was clever and fast on his feet; Zeus decided he would be a terrific messenger. He got the inside scoop on pretty much everything that was going on. He was also trustworthy, bright and loyal. Hermes was also the best negotiator in the world.

Some people believe Aphrodite was born from sea foam others say from the great Zeus.no one really knows. She is the goddess of love and beauty. Aphrodite is also very kind and merciful. She also knows she is the fairest in all the land.

Zeus’ sister Demeter was the goddess of harvests and her job was extremely important. if Demeter was sad the crops didn’t grow, so everyone worked to keep her happy. Demeter was happy in the company of her daughter Persephone. Persephone was part of a deal that said for 3 months she had to live with Hades in the underworld and all was well again when she returned.

Hestia another of Zeus’ sisters is the goddess of heath and home. She was deeply honored by the women of Greece. Daily they would go in the homes courtyards to sew and cook where they knew she was watching. Hestia was the most respected woman of ancient Greece.