The Dark | Teen Ink

The Dark

By PenelopeF BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
PenelopeF BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana

"She got a big booty so I call her big booty" -2Chainz

She opened her eyes and was frightened. She only saw darkness. She knew not where she was or if she was alone. She reached out a hand and waved it around in the dark. But felt nothing. She touched the ground. It was cold and hard. She thought her eyes would eventually adjust to the dark, but she still saw nothing. She heard whispers by her ears. But when she turned no one was there. They were just tiny whispers. They could have been the wind. Or tricks of her own mind. They egged her encouraging comments. "You are okay", "You'll be alright", "It takes time". But she wasn't so sure. She was confused. She wanted to believe she was okay. But how could they prove it? She was cold and lonely. She did not feel okay at all. "It had to happen at some time". What does that mean? What had to happen? What will happen? Her mind whirled. She was so alone. She only had the voices, but they were not real. They were in her head, may have been the product of her own lonesome imagination. Her intuitions guided her through the dark. She was scared. She held her hands up in front of her and tried to follow her instincts as a guide. She felt nothing. She tripped on nothing. There was nothing. And that's when she realized she was completely alone. She cradled her face and cried. The one time she needed someone, no one was there. She looked up through her fingers, and something caught her eye. One, tiny, white speck that was blurred by her tears. Desperate for company, she wanted the dot. Looking at it made her happy. There was someone, something here besides her. She was no longer alone. She wanted to go towards her, but the darkness seemed to thicken, making it hard to travel towards the dot. She swam through the thick blackness and started on towards the dot. Maybe she should wait. Maybe it would come to her. But it was so tempting. It felt like swimming in molasses. So slowly, so heavily. She felt muffled by the dark, almost suffocated by its thickness. The darkness did not want her to go to the dot. But it was so beautiful. She wanted to hold it and feel the warmth it produced. She loved the dot. Felt sad for the dot. Wanted to keep it safe. She knew they'd be happy together, but the darkness thought otherwise. The voices told her "no, it is dangerous" and "why take risks when you have us?". It tugged her back, trying to hold her back. She got frustrated and swiped at the darkness. It was trying to keep her and the speck apart. She tried to escape it, and thrashed around, wanting to be free. As she journeyed closer, her view of the dot became clearer. It was larger now that she was closer. Suddenly, the dot started coming towards her also. It wanted her as well. Two lonely things, but together they would be happy. They would no longer be alone. They would have each other. The girl and the dot were both coming towards each other. Closer. Closer. As they met, an explosion of warmth and light overpowered the darkness. It chased the dark away, and submerged her in life. It wrapped her in the sun's sweetest light. She was happy. She could see; she was no longer blind. She could feel; the light beams tickled her fingertips. The brightness hugged her and cradled her. The light was stronger than the dark, and fought it off until there was nothing but light. A new experience for her one she had not even dreamed about. She no longer stumbled clumsily around; she strode gracefully. But the most important thing was that they were happy.

a short story that is very metaphorical:-)