A Speech Made to the World | Teen Ink

A Speech Made to the World

By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida

Practice makes perfect!

The following passage is a speech I made when I was at my masjid, also known as a church. It talks about who I am, what I plan to be, and what have I learned in Arabic class that has inspired me. Arabic is the language in which Muslims speak. Just to let you know, Allah means God. The following phrases or words that you see may look or sound weird, but it is greetings and words to describe that you hope this happens, or something great just happened.
Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh brothers and sisters! My name is Yasmin. I am thirteen years old and I want to share with you some information about me. I am in 7th grade and the school I attend is Belleview Middle School. From what I hear, not too many people in this masjid have their kids attend this school. There were two reasons my family and I picked this school. One was that since my brother is still in elementary school, it would be easier on my mother to drop and pick up both of us from school. The second reason is that both schools are closer to our homes. So picking Belleview Middle School is the best school for me. I glorify my school. When I started to wear my hijab to school in fourth grade, my elementary school was very kind to me and they treated me as if I wasn’t wearing a hijab at all which pleased me the most. I thought that once I entered middle school, I would be treated differently. I was wrong about that. I was treated just the same way as I was in elementary school. That is how I started to get adjusted to middle school easily. Now I feel very comfortable with my school, teachers, and friends. All the teachers respect me. I instantly make new friends and still stay in touch with my other friends. This is what happens when I am at my school. But still in my mind, I always think of Allah and am cautious always. I sometimes get carried away, but then I get focused and know my place.

When I grow up, I plan to do three things, which is why I am searching everywhere for scholarships to help me and I am also saving money in my little piggy bank. Inshallah, May Allah make it easy for me. The first thing I want to be is a pediatrician. I always love playing with little children even when they are a little tricky sometimes. Because of this, I think I will enjoy this career the most. Since I am a person that loves to be outside and I’m very athletic, I want to be a softball player. I am currently playing softball and when I go to high school and college, I will try to be on a team and support my school. If I get to choose the position I want to be in, I would like to be in right field. Ever since I was playing softball, I found out that I was very good at playing in right field. That is my goal and Inshallah I hope to accomplish it one day. The third and final thing I want to be is a pastry chief. I love to bake and when I bake sweets for the masjid, everyone enjoys them and that makes me happy. Two years ago, my friends and I did a bake sale and raised some money for downtown project, the masjid, and Sunday school supplies. I think it was over $200, Alhamdulillah. I am so grateful for these things happening. Inshallah, Allah will guide me and help me to accomplish my goals.

Going to Islamic school is great. The teachers, students, and staff are wonderful. At this point, I can say that I have learned some more Arabic in Sister Alia’s class. Alhamdulillah! For example, we just had a set of spelling words and the subject of those words was the seasons. Sister Alia brings a workbook for us to use once in a while. Sister Alia would read the sentence and act it out while we tried to figure out what it meant. Some of the words were repeated and we memorized them. I really enjoyed it because I finally was able to understand some Arabic with a little acting in it. Once again, my name is Yasmin Bacchus, and I am glad to share with you my plans for my future with a little bit of personal things about me as well. Assalamu Alaikum.