Forbidden | Teen Ink

Forbidden

By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida

Practice makes perfect!

It was forbidden. Well, in my case, I wouldn’t say that I was forbidden to take off my scarf, also known as a hijab (pronounced as he-jab), I would say that it would be like breaking a contract. I have made a commitment to obey God as He asks of us women to cover ourselves and be modest. Not only women, but also men have to dress modestly. I could take it off, but that would be considered as contravening God. Some people say that they feel bad for me, but I don’t feel bad because this is what I chose to do. Women back in the timeworn days use to dress in long-sleeve and would wear a cloth on their heads. They didn’t cover their hair completely, but they still covered all over. For instance there are Nuns that cover their entire body from head to toe excluding their face. We as Muslims are the same. It is not like no one has seen this before, there was a time when this was a norm. When I tell people that I have to wear these types of clothes because of what religion I believe in, they might have diverse sentiments, but this is who I am and who I will always be. There was a time that all people had to wear the same thing even when it was a thousand degrees outside. They had to wear those clothes because it was a law. That is exactly as to what we are doing. It hurts me to know that people give me expressions as if I am forbidden from everything. It is like someone piercing me in the back unremittingly and they won’t impede even when you entreat them. When times likes these affect me, I think about my first day wearing a hijab. I had just turned ten in fourth grade. My mom was wearing a hijab and I was curious as to why she was wearing it. I thought that only when you were an adult, you could wear the scarf. That’s when the question came up. “Can I wear a hijab to school?” That was a time when my mom thought that I would have to face challenging obstacles. But that was not a concern to me. This is my religion and this is what I want to do. People are entitled to their own option; however, a little bit researching about others way of life or beliefs would make it easier for everyone to get along. That is how I started my responsibilities as a Muslim. If people think that I am forbidden from everything and they think that my religion is peculiar or I shouldn’t believe in my religion at all, I would ignore it and walk away. I go with what I choose and not thinking that I am forbidden to take off my hijab. I don’t think that wearing a hijab is a punishment, I think of it as my choice, I am honored to wear it and I am happy that I am wearing it. I feel unique and special when I am covering myself. It is just my choice and going with what my heart desires and in the end, I am obeying God.