The Best Memory Ever | Teen Ink

The Best Memory Ever

December 6, 2013
By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
20 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Practice makes perfect!


I remember the time when I was in New York and it snowed. I have lived there for six superb years. Just thinking about it reminds me of the pine trees that were in our yard. They look like mini Christmas trees. When it was December, it was cold out. It was so cold, that the coldness would bite my cheek as soon as I stepped out from the warm and toasty house, into the blistering cold. I would be in layers of warm thick jackets and sweaters. My brother, Amir, was one, just learning how to walk, and I was five, a year before we would pack our packs and never see snow again. But those six years were worth it because I enjoyed my life. Never had I said once that I want to move. The snow would be thick and cover every inch of the ground. The untouched snow would be waiting for us to jump, roll, and enjoy ourselves in the snow. Amir had a very hard time with walking because he had to lift his feet high up just to take a step. But almost every time he took a step, he would fall flat on his face into the soft snow. I love to do that. When I feel hot in my clothes and I am in the cold, I would fall into the snow and let that ice-cold snow cool down my face. THUMP! THUMP! That is the sound of when my dad throws a snowball right at my face. As soon as I fall, I make a snowball behind my back and when my dad turns…BOOM! I smack my dad with the snowball so hard and fast, that he falls flat on his face too! That is when we start our snowball fight. I am teamed up with Amir and we build the best fort ever! The fort was even better than our dad’s fort. While I was touching up on our impeccable fort, Amir was so nice to start on big snowballs that will destroy Dad’s fort. He was so smart and nice for a small child. Before he was allowed outside, he would watch us from outside, so he knew only how to make snowballs. My dad and I knew we had to go easy because Amir was still little. After about an hour of snowball fighting, Amir started to cry because he wanted to go inside. Once he was inside, I saw that my fort was half way destroyed and a snowball went through my jacket in which the snow slid down my back and make a chill go up my spine. I was glad I still had twenty or thirty snowballs made when I came back. That was when my dad had some pay back from me. Also, since Amir was gone, we played rough for another hour. I never got tired of the snow. Then out of the blue, my mom throws a snowball and I was fast to recognize it and throw a snowball at the owner who threw that ball. Apparently, I didn’t know it was my mom and she wasn’t dress in the cold. I thought that she was going inside to get in her clothes and come beat me. She did half of what I said. Instead of beating me, she was on dad’s side and joined in for the fight. I didn’t worry because I still was able to destroy the fort completely and throw a million snowballs at them. Then my mom went inside to check on my brother, while my dad and I build our snowman. It wasn’t round, but a square snowman. Around this time, my muscles were screaming at me to get inside the warm house. After I took a warm bath, I snuggled into my clothes and drank my hot chocolate. My mom would videotape us outside so that we wouldn’t forget those abundant times. Also, my mom would make cookies that had red and green colors swirled into the cookies. That also brought back memories. When it was Christmas, I would always have a full house. But the one I cared most was Grandma. She passed away in 2010, but I still remember her. No matter what happens, she would always come from Brooklyn to Long Island just to celebrate Christmas with us. I remember the smell of pine when my dad hauled in the tree for us to decorate. When we had to put the star, my dad would lift me and I made sure that the star was perfect. I still remember what dress I was in. The most beautiful dark green dress that matched perfectly with Christmas. We still have pictures so that we can describe these thoughts on a piece of paper. I know that I say I don’t celebrate Christmas, but that was before I knew about my religion. That was the best day ever and the best memory I will always remember. Now that six years (going on to seven years soon) has gone by, I still remember the day that enjoyed me the most.