Pass the Salt | Teen Ink

Pass the Salt

By CjLinds BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
CjLinds BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

"Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Suess

“Pass the salt?” I asked. Gramma nodded, and I salted my fries.

“Did I tell you about Chemistry?”

She shook her head.

“It’s the worst, and gives me headaches.” I said, chuckling. Grandma smiled. Her smile lit up her face.

Sunshine poured through the window.

“Joseph’s good. For our ten month anniversary, we’re going to Venice Beach. I remember your adventures there.” I said.

Her first trip to Venice Beach was with her girlfriends.She said it was the most memorable day of her life, because she couldn’t call mommy or daddy for help.

The sky was turning into a dull, gray color.

“The weather channel was right for once. They said it was supposed to rain.”

Gramma shook her head and smiled.

“I’m still a little worried though. He’s in college now and I’m only a senior. All that distance .... Do you think it’ll work?” I asked.
She raised her eyebrow and tilted her head.

“I know. That’s not a question you can answer. I have to figure it out myself.” I said, chuckling.

“I promise I won’t give up on him, or chemistry, just because I’m worried. I’ll just keep a good attitude.” I said as Gramma nodded at me.

Drops of rain hit the window pain.

“Jade, who are you talking to?” mom asked.

“Mom, I’m talking to,” I began. No one was there. “Myself.”

Mom sighed. “What did you two talk about?”

“Chemistry and Joseph.”

“Give that woman some gossip. She hasn’t heard anything good in a awhile.” Mom said, smiling. I looked up at her, smiling too, a tear rolling down my cheek.

This was originally a 1000 word piece that I cut down to 250 for my own challenge. I think it's still just as powerful! My inspiration comes from true events, for my grandmother has passed and I often have conversations with her to this day.