The Tale of the Moon | Teen Ink

The Tale of the Moon

By Will Bradley BRONZE, Griswold, Connecticut
Will Bradley BRONZE, Griswold, Connecticut

THE TALE OF THE MOON
Children, what I am about to tell you did not happen in our village, or in the village neighboring ours, but it did happen, long ago, before the world knew the moon.

A man named Havi, who worked the land, was out toiling in the fields, working hard, hour after hour. At that time, the great, fiery yellow Sun had shown bright and intense. Havi became very hot, and rain was nowhere in sight. He sweated and sweated, and he soon became tired, He said to the Sun, “Can you shine just a little less brightly, for I am growing very tired.” And the Sun replied, “I also tire, but my light must reach the ends of the Earth, so that all the men and animals alike can work and play.” As the man stood there in thought, the Sun grew higher in the sky, and became brighter and hotter. “Are there no more like you who can help you?” asked Havi. “No”, replied the Sun, “for they each have their own fields to light.” And so Havi went to take shelter in the cool valley at the base of a great mountain. Havi grew hungry, and he trapped a rabbit. He asked the Sun, “Could you spare some fire for me to cook my meal?” And the Sun dropped a spark from its flaming body onto the of Havi’s coals. Seeing this, Havi began thinking about his predicament again. As his diner cooked, he sat down in the shade of the mountain’s shadow. And Havi saw that the cool black of darkness was missing in the world. And then he called up to the Sun, “Sun, just as you lit these coals, take some flame from your body, and set this mountain aflame, and because it is so great, it will stay alight for all of man’s days.” “Yes!” exclaimed the Sun, “it will light the darkness while I rest, but not as bright as I, and will give the world reds, pinks, and oranges never seen before.” And now magnificent colors began to light up the sky as the Sun placed the mountain in the sky and then began to drift asleep. And now many stars appeared in the sky above, and the great, burning mountain, which the Sun called “Moon” watched over the Earth as the Sun rested.
And so, children, we have the Moon and stars in the sky above us on this night.

I have always admired the simplistic yet powerful elements of storytelling used by African peoples. Many traditional stories tell why things are how they are, why nature is how it is. This is my spin on that.