Softball | Teen Ink

Softball

By Crazysoftballgirl BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
Crazysoftballgirl BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota

Softball to me is, well, my life. I love softball! I am in a U14 group so I'm really good. This season my team is going to Montana for one week to watch the World Series game and play one of the teams. This is going to be the best time ever! We get to meet the players, and they are going to help us with our team. Some people think going is not a big deal but to a team from South Dakota it's a big deal because it makes you feel special. You get to play in the World Series and watch it! If you play softball, you would understand what I mean.

Softball is a fun sport. When I play softball, I feel like I'm not someone who plays it for fun. I feel like I belong on the field. When I'm pitching or catching I always talk to my teammates to tell them what the batter might do,and that's how we win. My teammates and I are always talking on the field. When I'm catching and my pitcher is throwing I don't know how I can tell this but I can tell when she is nervous. I guess it's the way she throws the ball. I pause the game go up and talk to her like tell her jokes and make her smile and she gets better.

When I pitch I always make sure I have good signals coming from my catcher. She will tell me to go in or get her some balls. It's the same way we bat. We look at the way she stands,and how her follow up comes out,then we know to swing or not. Some teams ask why we are so talkative with each other and we tell them we are not teammates we are family. When we tell the other teams that they look at us funny.

When we are on the bases we look at each other and we tell each other if we should steal or slide. When I steal I run and dive into the base. When I'm on third base I always slide home. When I slide home I get down and dirty. I run and dive into the dirt and I always make it on the base. Most girls don't try to slide but I always try to slide. I'm really good at sliding because I practice at our practices all the time. Me and one of my teammates we go to the bathrooms and get on our sliding shorts and pants. We put these knee braces on so we don't hurt our legs,and we get the rest of our stuff on. We warm up by running,stretching,and throwing. After practice I get rides to go home and I take a shower. Well I could go on but that will take longer so I'll end. I hope more people start to join and like we say in softball,
Softball learn it, play it, love it.

This piece is about my love for softball and how I handle it!!! I love being ale to share this because this might help get more people to join!