A New Beginning | Teen Ink

A New Beginning

By LemonSqueezy BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
LemonSqueezy BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

A New beginning

Foreword

I woke up, my stomach aching, my throat sore, my eyes dry. All that I could think about was where my next meal was coming from. I hadn’t eaten in 36 hours, and all that I had to drink was some water from a park fountain. The thoughts of my parched mouth faded as my mind drifted back to how I got here in the first place.
It started back when my dad left, leaving my abused stay-at-home mom to take care of my infant brother and I all by herself. She had little education and was forced to get a job at a sweatshop. Even though, it was only a matter of time before fate put us on the streets. Two and a half months later it happened: we lost our apartment, there wasn’t much else to lose.
After being evicted we lived in a public park deep in New Jersey. We scavenged for food in trash cans and litter piles. We used trash bags for blankets and slept under the parks play set.
Then one day they weren’t there; my mom and my brother weren’t there. I waited for hours, for days, what seemed like years. Nothing. Where were they? I finally decided that I was on my own.
I was only a burden to her anyways, at least that’s what the look in her eye always told me. She left me and I accepted that, she didn’t need me, didn’t want me, I was nothing.
I would prove to her I was something, something great; one day I would be wealthy and she would see, I would be something. Even in this century, the twenty second century, during the deepest depression known to mankind, and only getting worse.
Now I’m here, hungry, famished, cold, at the same spot that my mother left me four months ago, every day I told myself that I wasn’t waiting for her, her or anybody else, but I knew that I was, I was waiting, hopeful that one day a savior would come, a savior. I was trying to fool my mind; maybe it was my way of getting through each day, each pang of distress. I needed a new life, a new beginning.

Chapter 1

He turned, did he see me? I hoped, I only hoped. Should I run, stay hiding?
“Hey, what are you doing?” I stood, I looked, I ran. He came after me. As I glanced around my shoulder, I saw that he was getting closer. With the last burst of energy I jumped, out of the window and onto the ground. The cold cement pressed against the skin of my hands. A rock pressed in into my palm, like a stone splinter. I didn’t have the energy to scream, I got back up.
I looked around for an escape route, a skill that I had acquired through my life of petty crime. The fence: I ran, slid, under the dug out hole, probably from an animal that relies on this man’s garbage for food. Much like I did. I was an animal. An animal of sorry crime.
I looked back, saw nothing, heard nothing. And then out the midst of silence, I heard the sirens of the police hover bikes. Where? I couldn’t see. I couldn’t get caught. I scanned for somewhere to hide. I saw a man hole, lifted it, dropped to the sewer floor. Did they see me? Was it over? I looked at my hand and pulled the stone out. I wanted to scream but couldn’t risk giving away my hiding spot. I ripped of a thin piece off the already tattered cloth which I deemed a shirt, and tied it around my hand. Eventually the sirens faded. I continued waiting. It must of been hours. I hoped that they left when they discovered that all that I got away with was a drawstring bag with some fruit and water stuffed into it.
The silence made me feel uneasy. Close, too close. I slung my new bag around my shoulder. I headed up the sewer ladder towards the gleaming slice of sunshine that peered through the manhole. I pushed out the cover and pulled my body up. Too close.
I headed for my shelter back at the park. When I finally arrived, I sat down at a bench and pulled open my bag, pulled out an apple. After several bites I returned the fruit to my drawstring and peeled the cloth off my hand. It was filthy. Filled with dirt and flakes of grass. I whipped out one of the water bottles and poured a bit onto my hand. Some of the muck washed right off. Some off the more stubborn dirt though. would not come out. I scrubbed it with the cloth.
“Better” I thought, “Better, but still dirty”.
It was getting late, the sun just set, and the moon recently rise. I lay back my head on the drawstring and quickly set into sleep.
I opened my eyes and the sun crept its way in. I grunted, sore from yesterdays chase. I pulled the drawstring from under my head. grabbed the apple, it was brown but still edible. I finished it off. It filled me up because my stomach had since shrunken. Delicious. I looked up at the sky, it was grey. That was the norm because of all the pollution. However I could almost taste the moisture in the air. I Knew it would rain.
I reached under the playset and grabbed several trash bags. I put one in my bag. I took the other, poked hole in the bottom and sides big enough for my head and arms to fit through, and pulled it over like a poncho.
I layed down on my back. Waiting. I was stuck in a trance. “Boom”, the thunder made me make snap out of it. Still, I closed my eyes and just started to think.
The next morning I woke up to the rain beating down on my face, my body soaked and cold. I sat up and reached into my bag. I pulled out one of the water bottles and drank about half of it. Refreshed, I got to my feet. I put the water away, grabbed the bag and started walking.
I was heading towards my favorite spot, one that I used to go to with my mom. I wasn’t sure how many people knew about it, but I called it my own. I was just about to enter the forest, or the little that existed. I headed down the trail that I had made over the times that I traveled it. I came out of the trees and into the open, to the only water dam in the city. I loved the flowing water, the noise of the water crashing against the wall. It was peaceful, it was calm, it was mine. I dipped my feet in the water, it was cool, I liked it.
Then I heard something. Where? I turned, nothing. I figured that it was just an animal. I looked back to the water. Something grabbed my from behind. A glove with a cloth. I didn’t even have time to struggle before I passed out.

I grunted in pain, dizzy and unable to think. Is it a dream, was everything else a dream? Then a light, bright and powerful. I figure above me. I had just enough energy to lift my head and see the needles that were stuck into my body, invading my body. Who? Why? I drifted back to sleep.

Chapter 2

I tried to move, I couldn’t. I could hardly breath. Beads of sweat slid from my forehead to my eye, cold sweat. My shirt drenched in presperation. I was strapped down, stuck. The room that I was in was small, maybe 15x10. There was a lenolium floor with metal walls that reflected the dim lighting.
“Hello there” an intense, monotone voice, grumbled. I looked over to the left side of the room. There stood a tall thin man, about 60, in a lab coat.
“Who are you, where am I?” I struggled to get the words out.
“My name is Doctor Von Geizler, I brought you here to” he paused, “help you”.
“Help me how, I’m fine”
He chuckled at my comment.
“Far from it my friend, at last you were.” He turned around and started to leave.
“Were? What do you mean were!? Tell me, what do mean were!?” I screamed.
He just shut the door and kept walking.
All of a sudden I was slipping into sleep, forced into sleep. Not knowing if I would wake up, I tried to fight it, I couldn’t.
I gasped for air. After a few seconds my breathing regulated. I looked around. I was back at the dam exactly as I was before, But different. I wasn’t sure how, but I was different, I knew I was. What happened, was it real. I tried to shake it off as a dream. It wasn’t possible. I started up and as I did, I noticed something. A scar, down my chest and abdominals. It was real.
I was some doctors science experiment. What had he done. I started to examine myself. Right away I noticed something, my veins. The blood running through my veins was green, almost glowing. What did he do to me. I was angry. He changed me, but how. I grabbed my drawstring. I started running, running as fast as I could.
Then my foot got caught, and I went stumbling to the ground. My leg was sliced in pain. I screamed in agony. Out of nowhere, it started to heal up, rapidly. In just a couple of seconds, all that remained was a small scar, maybe the length of a pencil. What had he done to me. I was mad, yet thankful.
I got back to my feet, I walked. I walked all the ways to my spot back at the park before taking a break. All I could think about was what else, what else? Why me? Who else? How?
These questions ran through my mind. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. It was amazing, but disturbing. Was I the first, or one of many? Would I survive?
I could only hope. Hope, something that I had to live off of. It had been good to me, but eventually my luck always ran out. With my dad, with my home, and with my mother and brother. I didn’t have any idea what I was. I needed to find that doctor.

What did I know so far. He was a caucasun male, tall, maybe 60, his name was Doctor Von Geizler, and he snatched me at the dam. I would need to go back. I needed to find him.

I looked back, should I go, would I even find him, would he find me. what would he do to me, but then again why did he let me go. Was he done with me, or would he come back.

The feeling was uneasy, my stomach felt twisted. The thought of what could happen if I went, but even more so if I didn’t.