Almost a Dream | Teen Ink

Almost a Dream

By blackrosebush BRONZE, Edgewood, Kentucky
blackrosebush BRONZE, Edgewood, Kentucky

"Hold on, I'll be right there," I turned and walked the other way, "I need to put my coat in the car."

This was my first mistake. Danny was waiting in a little downtown restraunt, as I spun around and walked down the street. I looked at my watch, it read "7:08 PM." It was early December, and I was staring up at the dark winter sky. The clouds suggested a rain storm, it had been too warm for snow, though too cold to enjoy being outside. Maybe had I not been lost in my thoughts of weather, I would have noticed I made a wrong turn.

The streets suddenly looked unfamiliar and I was unsure of where I was. Off the main streets downtown was frightening even when it wasn't pitch black. Panic began to rise in my chest, I could feel my heart beating all over my body. Thoughts of paranoia were racing through my head, or so I thought, when I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't even want to look back. As my feet sped up, so did the steps I heard. My head was full of my pulse, my mind was completely unclear and full of adrenaline.

I realized my terror was more rational than I thought when I felt hands wrap around my neck and cover my mouth, pulling me back into an alley even darker than out on the dirty street. My entire body tensed, I was unsure of what to do. My mind was blank and my arms and legs just locked. As he pulled me down, I began to try to wrestle with him, but it was of no use. He was much larger and much stronger than me. I tried to scream, but my throat wouldn't let me. His mouth began making it's way around my neck and chest.

I pictured Danny, waiting at the restraunt, tapping his foot wondering why he had to wait so long for our date to start, if I was only putting away my coat. I pictured it so vividly that I almost thought I heard Danny's voice calling out, trying to find me. "Samantha. Samantha?"

The man put his tan hands on my face, and I tried to bite him, thinking of any way to keep him away. He pulled out a knife, and I knew I was defenseless. I wondered who would be the first to find me if I died.

"Samantha... Samantha?" Danny's voice sounded closer. I had to keep telling myself Danny wasn't really there.

The man through me down, causing a loud eruption of sound. Then everything was still. He stopped, and I heard someone running.

Everything from that point on was a blur. I laid on the ground, my hands covering my head, listening to what I knew was a fight. It sounded like the loudest and most violent fight I'd ever witnessed first hand. I felt like I was floating, like I wasn't really there. Someone hit the ground, and hard. My body jerked up, out of reflex and instinct to help my boyfriend.

"Danny!" I cried, over and over.

"Samantha... Samantha?" Everything went foggy. I was dead, we were dead, laying on the ground in this dirty alley, eyes closed, crying for each other.

"Samantha?" Danny's voice changed, it sounded higher, almost female.

"What's wrong with her?" Someone completely new.

"She's been in here almost a month now, always cryin' over this 'Danny.' That's all she'll say, 'Danny, Danny, Danny.' Won't even talk to the shrinks. I thought I saw somethin' new in her eyes today, so I was tryin' to see if I could get her attention. It didn't work."

I was dead.

sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

I think your writing is really good, although i do not understand the part at the end where she is dead, but she can here people talking about her.

your art and photos are really good. you are talented!

can u look at my stuff? some of it sucks, but only because i wrote it whern i was 10 or 11. I've improved.

luv ya

mandi♥

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

it's really good, but i don't understand the end when she's dead, but someone's talking about her and she could here them. You are really talented and i looked at your photographs. beautiful artist. ♥

can u check out my stuff. some of its kinda bad cause i was maybe 10 or 11 when i wrote it, but i just uploaded a new story today and i cant wait for it to be submitted.

luv ya,

mandi