My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

November 5, 2012
By AnaBanana BRONZE, Poston, Arizona
AnaBanana BRONZE, Poston, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Never give up on what you really want yours.


I arrive to a small clearing behind a few rocky hills, with nothing but an old tree with its trunk twisted down like a bench and grass surrounding it all. I found this place a few weeks after my older sister’s death. Carla, she was only 19 when she died in that car accident. It affected everyone so much, her little boy the most. Jose, her 3 year old son, was left to my mom since he can’t sleep without out my sister the only option for him to sleep was for him to be left with us. He was left traumatized by her death just as much as I was. I didn’t eat for weeks. When I tried sleeping, the most vivid, horrid, nightmares would greet me. I would wake up screaming and sweating, scared of closing my eyes again. My mom would leave a plate of food on my drawer, but I would throw it away so she finally gave up and only left me water bottles which I drank by sips. It wasn’t until one afternoon Angel had gone to my room and laid down with me on my bed, holding me and letting me cry until his warmth and voice lulled me to dreamless sleep. I slept through the night with him right beside me. Surprisingly, his parents and mine came to an agreement of letting him stay with us until I got better after they saw that I was able to sleep with him there. My life was literally given back to me in a matter of months, everything coming slowly. Angel only stayed for about 2 ½ weeks but we visited each other most of the time. Sometimes we would just lay together, holding each other, without the need of talking. Eventually, when he smiled at me, I was able to smile back, knowing that it was ok. Then I saw how important we had become to each other, that I had the privilege of calling him my best friend. My sister’s death wasn’t only a tragedy but also a blessing. It took the person I loved most but gave me someone new to adore and cherish, yet that person was always there. Coming here calmed me down; I would just sit here and look at the sky, keeping my mind from thinking of anything but Angel. The way he suddenly protected and cared for me so much, it made me see he always really cared, even if he never actually showed it. I tried my best to show him I really appreciated everything he did for me. I would hug him every morning and afternoon, remind him how much he means to me, share anything I ever took or had, listened to everything he had to say, loved him dearly. He accepted it all with ease; a smile on his face and eyes filled with sincerity every time he said he loved me. I sat with my back against the top of the trunk to support my head as well as I stared at the clouds lazily roll across the blue sky. Not long after, I hear the rumbling of an engine. I get up and climb around the hill to see what was going on. I see a familiar figure that instantly makes my heart race for joy.
“Angel!” I exclaim, running down the hill as he takes his helmet off. He turns just in time to catch me from skipping past him.
“Calmada que te me vas,” he says laughing. I smile and hold him tighter, burying my face into the side of his neck, taking in his familiar scent and touch. We spend the day together, until the sun begins to set. He wraps me in a hug before we go our separate ways home.
“Get home safe, Dork,” he says.
“I will. See you around. I love you Burro.” I tell him.
“Love you, too.” With that, we leave, knowing that we will always have something that is stronger than anything else and that we both have the pleasure of calling each other best friends…