It Takes Guts | Teen Ink

It Takes Guts

By Jadestorm BRONZE, Boylston, Massachusetts
Jadestorm BRONZE, Boylston, Massachusetts

Don't ever put anything on paper that you don't believe in. Don't write just to be writing. It's worse then merely saying something because the printed word reaches so many. Always remember that, Beany.

School! I both love it and hate it. I hate getting up early, taking tests, and doing big papers. I love seeing my friends, playing the flute in band, writing, and doing theater. Ah, the theater! My favorite place to be, besides my room. I have been in plays since first grade. Angel Gabriel, a hobo, a dancer, a chorus member, and several other roles. I have never had a big role in a play. The biggest role I have had was being Aster in the Little Mermaid. Aster was one of the twelve sisters. But this year I’m an eighth grader. My school, Caritas Academy, went from first to eighth. This year I was determined to get a lead role. This year the play was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I was so excited. I really wanted to have the part of Lucy, or Susan. Auditions were last week and I did great. Today, a list of the cast would be posted outside Mrs. Kidwell’s room.
Brinnnggg! The final bell rang two. I rushed to my locker, shoved some books in, and wrenched some books out. Swinging my book bag on to my shoulders, I ran down-stairs to Mrs. Kidwell’s room. There was a small crowd of people at the door, so I had to wait a while before I could see the list. I scrolled down the paper with my finger, reading off the names of the character and their actors. “Aslan, no. Edmund, no,” I muttered to myself. “Lucy, Rebecca Goodell. Darn it,” I shrugged. “Maybe I got Susan.” I looked down to Susan. Susan, Brianna St. John. “Brianna is Susan? Boy, she is perfect for the part. What a bossy person. Maybe I’m Mrs. Beaver or one of Aslan’s followers.” I looked, and I wasn’t any of them. I felt my heart start to race. I didn’t get a part.
I turned away from the door and bumped into my friend, Charlotte. “I’m so excited,” she exclaimed smiling at me, “I’m going to be the hedgehog. But you’re lucky one. You got the part I wanted.” I stared at her. “I didn’t get a part,” I informed her. She stared right back . “ Then why is your name right there,” she said as she pointed to a name on the list. I looked at the name she was pointed at. There it was, Katie DeMange. And… and it was right next to the name, The White Witch. The White Witch! I was the Witch. It was not the exact part I wanted, but it was better than nothing. And it was a lead part!
A month had gone by, and the rehearsals had been going well. Two more months till the first play. I was very excited about the play by now. I was made Stage Manger, which means I have to ensure that every is there for rehearsals and that all the props are in the proper place. On the night s of the shows, I am to make sure that everyone behaves and is ready before and during the play. Caritas Academy is a small school, but we have a great cast. Everyone is perfect for his or her part, except Brianna. She might have been better as the White Witch; she has an icy attitude. However, she is very bossy, like Susan. She practices that part everywhere.
One day, a few weeks before opening night, Mrs. Kidwell was absent. She had told me and Veronica Stein, who was the assistant director, to run the rehearsal. Veronica had told me earlier that she would be late, so I started rehearsal. We were to work on the act where the White Witch comes to talk with Aslan. The four children and Aslan’s followers were supposes to back up with fear, and the two girls were supposes to be partly behind the other animals. Susan was supposes to be behind the shy unicorn, who was my best friend, Amy Wheeler. Amy is very shy, like a unicorn, and is often silent about people who push her around.
That’s exactly what happened. Brianna started to boss the cast around her, but they all ignored her. All, that is, except Amy. At first, I didn’t notice. I was too busy saying my lines. Thump! I spun around and saw Amy sitting on the ground. “What happened?” Dave Gandek, who played Fenris Ulf, asked. No one would answer, but they all stole glances at Brianna. “What happened, Amy?” I asked my friend as I helped her to her feet. Brianna glared at her and she answers, “Nothing. I just tripped.” “ What a clout!” Brianna proclaimed as she smiled triumphantly. “Someone who can fall over when they are standing still shouldn’t be allowed in this play.”
I wheeled around on her. “You’re going too far, Brianna. Your character is a bossy one, but that doesn’t give you the right to the rest of the cast what to do. I am tired of hearing you complaining about this production. You keep saying that some people don’t belong in the show. Well, Brianna, you’re the one that doesn’t belong here. When you start to hurt the other cast members, you deserve to get kicked out. I’m sure Mrs. Kidwell can find someone else to play your part.” I stopped and took a big breath. I don’t think I have every talked so fast before. Brianna stood there with a shocked look on her face. She finally found her voice. “What! Kick me out! Who do you think you are, Katie? You don’t have any right to tell me what to do.” She spat out the words as if they were poison.
“Actually, she does.” Veronica appeared at my side. “I saw what happen and I agree with Katie. And I believe Mrs. Kidwell will agree too. Brianna, I think you better apologize to Amy and leave.” Brianna sputtered in rage. Veronica glared at her, and she muttered sorry and slaked out of the room. Veronica then turned to the rest of the cast and told them to take their places and the rehearsal went on.
After rehearsal ended, I stayed awhile longer to help Veronica lock up. As we walked out to the parking lot, she turned to me. “Katie, I saw the whole thing. Starting from when Brianna pushed Amy. I saw how no one would defend her. Brianna can be very intimidating, but you weren’t afraid at all. That took guts, Katie. I’m proud of you. Standing up for a friend is one of the best gifts you can give to them.” As I lay in bed that night, I though over Veronica’s words. You know, she’s right.

This story is based on a couple different play that I acted in. One of the plays was The Loin, The Witch and The Wardrobe. The characters are mainly based on actors in that play. During on practice, I hear some girls complaining about their roles, and my friends. They were also pushing my friend around. I wanted to write this so that others will stand up for others when they hear them be bullied.