I AM THAT I AM | Teen Ink

I AM THAT I AM

By Arachno GOLD, Boise, Idaho
Arachno GOLD, Boise, Idaho

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, or fabulous?

What am I? Who am I, and for what reason do I exist? I am that I am. My existence shall persist, and it shall never cease to exist. I am many things, most of which are more or less concrete and shall stay, depending on abstractness, on earth or heaven, or a certain nothingness which nothingness can describe. I am free will. Nothing can contain me, not even the nothingness that nothingness can describe. Not heaven, not earth. Not the dark matter that swirls on the outskirts of the known universe, or the light that shines from our parallel universes, from the largest known space to the smallest quarks and gluons that are necessary to hold our world together. I am the phosphor screen of a cathode ray tube. I am the electrons that bombard it, creating light. I am the cotton filament, which shined for the first time with brilliant light at the hand of Edison, erasing his fear of the dark. I am the sun, I am the moon. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, everything else in between, and everything else outside of it. I am the superior being, powerful enough to speak everything into existence, yet compassionate enough to give my only son to a world that is torn apart. I am God.

“What are you doing?” the cricket asked the mantid on a warm summer morning. She replied in almost a whisper, “I am praying for the souls of those I have eaten. I ask for the Lord’s forgiveness; I feel guilty for the lives I have taken to feed myself.” The cricket inquired in his most cheery tone, “Did you ever eat your mate’s head?” The mantis laughed softly and replied, “What a joke! He ran away without getting a chance to see our young. Besides, this conversation is over. You shouldn’t be asking me about such personal things.”
“I apologize.”
“Apology accepted.”
“Can I ask one more question?”
“Make it quick, I’m getting hungry. I don’t want to hurt you; you have so much to learn.”
“What’s your name?”
“Sister Aundreietta.”
“That’s a nice name.” commented the cricket as he scurried away into a bush nearby. “Ay, me.” Aundrei sighed as she prayed to God to never mistake the cricket for a meal.

To be continued…

This idea was a dream I had about a year ago, and I was just dying to put it into writing!