A Different Kind of Fairy Godmother | Teen Ink

A Different Kind of Fairy Godmother MAG

By Anonymous

   One winter afternoon Sebastian awoke upon anunfamiliar floor. He arose, stretched and arched his tiny back and yawned. Greeting his eyes were metal bars and a shining silver dish.Peering cautiously into the dish, he noticed an unfamiliar substance. Itwas brown in color, rough in texture and smelled like a bad version ofwhat he was accustomed to at home. Turning up his nose, he glancedoutside the bars and into the face of a very vicious lookingpussycat.

The horror of his situation finally hit. Sebastian wasin prison. He had seen such things on the talking box at home, but he'dnever imagined himself in such a place. He wanted his lawyer. He wantedhis phone call, though he wasn't sure exactly how that would help. Mostof all, he wanted Laura. He thought she must be on her way to come andget him.

Suddenly Sebastian's ears were bombarded with the soundof anxious dogs. Oh no! Sebastian thought, The death penalty! He hadbeen sentenced to death by doggy dinner. This was far worse than hethought. He began mewing with anxiety. He did not want to die! He was soyoung, he had plans to be a great mouser! Oh, cruel world! Pangs ofsadness reached the depths of his kitty heart.

The soundssubsided and his tiny heart settled a bit. Could he have made a mistake?It was not his turn to go, not yet, but he was still faced with theproblem of his imprisonment. He had to get back to Laura, back to thewarm carpeted floor and the expensive food he loved. He longed for ascratch behind the ears, a loving pat on the head or a pair of feet tocircle about.

Then, through the bars of his cage, a tinymouse flew, landing gracefully on the foul food in the shiny silverdish. Maybe the food's not so bad, Sebastian mused, and he steppedforward to pounce on his lunch.

Before he could devour the mouseymorsel, though, Sebastian noticed that this was not your average mouse.It was equipped with a full set of angelic wings. Sebastian's mindreeled as he wondered if the jailers had injected him with mind-alteringsubstances. Perhaps the food was so bad here the animals mutated. Butbefore his thoughts went further, a tiny yell erupted from the wingedcreature in Sebastian's food dish. Sebastian was taken aback, andpromptly decided he would rather starve than touch one hair on thisrodent's head. Sebastian retreated to the corner, the scaredy-cat in himbecoming evident.

Again a yell erupted from the dish and a pieceof food was flung at Sebastian as he cowered in the corner. He tried tomake out what the creature was saying; he thought it was "Comehere." He heard it again, and was fairly sure this time. A secondpiece of food flew at him, assuring him that if he did not follow ordershe would be beaten to death with imitation Friskies. Sebastian crawledover to the bowl and, with much apprehension, peered inside. Sureenough, there sat the angel-mouse, ready to hurl a thirdpiece.

"Well, it's about time," the rodentsaid.

Upon closer inspection, Sebastian noticed a tiny pink tutuaround the mouse's waist and a pipe-cleaner halo attached to itshead.

"I'm ya fairy god-mouse come to spring ya from da bighouse. Keep starin' and I'll knock ya lights out. We gotta find anescape route."

Delight overshadowed Sebastian's fears.However strange it may seem, this mouse was his ticket back to Laura'sloving arms. Sebastian smiled a kitty smile and asked the mouse what theplan was.

"I'll pop da lock from de outside and then yousgots to run and hide. Out the door and to your right, make sure you stayout of sight. I'll help you out on one condition. Now you pay attentionand carefully listen. No more huntin' and killin' us mice. Your word ofhonor will suffice. But if you break this bond one time, for you it'llbe de end of da line. So, on your mark, get set, let's go! I sprung dalock, don't run so slow!" he chanted.

Sebastian shotout the door, hung a right and was immersed in sunlight. Stopping behinda huge oak tree, he looked around to see if he was being followed. Whenhe was sure he was alone, he peeked from behind the tree and immediatelyknew where he was. Home was right around the corner! Arriving on hisdoorstep he mewed loudly, until the door opened. Scooping him up, Lauraasked, "Where have you been?" and through the door they went.Sebastian purred with happiness, and after silently thanking his fairygod-mouse for saving him, he vowed never to harm another rodent.