Fidelity | Teen Ink

Fidelity

By Lisa Wang PLATINUM, West Roxbury, Massachusetts
Lisa Wang PLATINUM, West Roxbury, Massachusetts

Part I: The Definition

Fidelity: (n.) observances of promises, loyalty, faithfulness; adherence to fact or detail; accuracy; exactness

Part II: The Memory

You were exactly everything to me for two years of my life. But no matter how much you meant to me then. I haven’t thought about you lately, at all.

We were so young and so ready to take on the world…

together.

We never dreamed it would turn out any other way. And as much as I want to see you again, I know that things have changed. I’m not the same cheerful, klutzy little girl and you’re not the same playful, lazy little boy.

We are merely a shadow of what we had been.

And somehow, through these hard years, we lost a bit of ourselves, the part of us that made us so great together. The part of us that will soon be forgotten.
And I want to look for you because there are times, too few to count, but not too few to remember, that I miss you.

We drifted apart too soon.

The last time I saw you, was on a broken swing set, with the sun’s incarnadine rays dipping just below the horizon. You held my hand and promised to never let me go.

Part III: The Hope

For the first time in a long time, you were serious. You held my hand and I knew from the look in your eye that things would never be the same. But I’m happy because it’s not goodbye. We’d see each other around. It’s not goodbye. Not yet. And when we do change, we’ll change…

together.

And maybe, just maybe we can remember what we lost and pick up where we left off. And maybe we can still be as close as we used to be. And maybe things can be different for us.

You let go of my hand.

“Maybe someday.”