The Joy of Ignorance | Teen Ink

The Joy of Ignorance MAG

The list arrived today.There is so much that has to be removed from these shelves. I mean, who wants toknow about all those terrible things that can't be helped, and who wants to readthings that offend people? Thank God the list finally arrived. I'm a relativelynew librarian, and there's so much danger in filling the shelves. I love savingthe world, reader by reader. Everyone's going to be so much happier once all thebad things are gone. Lori, the old librarian, hates the lists. I'm the one whohas to take the books off the shelves and lock them in the basement. Forty-nine,fifty; I'm done.

I've never read this one. I wonder what awful passionshide between its red leather covers. I'm glad it's being put away. I'm sure itmust have been offensive to someone. I think it's wonderful the Government isbehind the removal of such offensive material. Lori doesn't like it, but I likegetting rid of all the bad images and if I didn't do it, the library would beshut down. I don't want that to happen because some people can't afford to havenewspapers and appropriate magazines delivered to their homes.

I used toread books as a teenager, but I never learned anything useful from them. I thinkI would have been a lot happier not knowing all those things I was exposed to:the violence, the racism, the erotic fantasies of strangers. Lori looks slightlyanxious. I know she's going down to the basement to fill her mind with nonsense.I don't know why she goes down to look at those books; they must be bad if theGovernment put them on the list. She really should see a counselor. I'm happythat I keep people from experiencing emotions that aren't valuable. It'sinappropriate to be sentimental about such things.

I myself filed acomplaint once. The Government was very responsive, putting my suggestion on thelist the following week. I'm glad no one else will ever have to experience that.Anyone can file a complaint; I wish more people would take advantage of thisright. We can only remove 50 books at a time, but it's not enough to service allthe complaints that are filed every day. I cannot wait until all the misleadingliterature is gone. Lori says that eventually there will be no books. I thinkthat would be nice, but Lori disagrees. Then there would be more room for theliterature that would make everyone happy. I sure am glad I am playing a part inhelping the Government fix things. No more tears for Juliet and her sweet Romeo.I was thrilled to see that one go. They fixed the Bible, too. It really wasn'tnice what God did to the people in the Flood, and the crucifixion was just toogory. It's so much more uplifting now. Here comes Lori. I'm glad I didn't go readthose books. I'm happy not to know. I can't wait until the shelves are empty.

i love this !

on Apr. 28 2012 at 9:57 am
Winters_Willow SILVER, Beijing, Other

"Treat others the way you wish to be treated." ~Ghandi
"You are the worst pirate I've ever heard of." "Ah, but you've heard of me." ~Pirates of the Caribbean
"A man who has never done anything wrong, has never tried anything new." ~Albert Einstein

Nice writting!! But I don't exactly understand the story.....