When Time Ran Away | Teen Ink

When Time Ran Away

By RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

Time ran away like a petulant child; her hair sticking to her face in the rain, the never-ending rain. The drops pelted and stung her bare skin but she did not care. On she ran, in a race as endless as the rain, a race against herself, a race that she could never stop once she had started.

The very same day, Night returned. Why Time should leave and Night should return no one could understand, but no one cared to understand anyway. Night landed, covering the whole world in that black velvet blanket, as the rain continued to fall. But soon Time had gone too far for Night to linger any longer.

And so the night flew away like a bird disappearing into the gray thundercloud sky, flying so far you can’t see it anymore… and as I watched, the same bird dipped and twirled and then came back…and the night returned almost before I knew it…and the figure beside me stared up, up, up, watching the bird until it too was the bird, watching itself become the bird…and I watched as Night disappeared again and Time ran on and on in a race that lasts forever across the sky…

Time never gets to rest; you have to feel for it, don't you?