Outcast | Teen Ink

Outcast

By csjames GOLD, Cowpens, South Carolina
csjames GOLD, Cowpens, South Carolina

Everyone's a critic, but only you can decide if it affects Y-O-U!!!

His eyes were azure, like the morning sky brightened by the golden sun, and his flowing mane was a clear white, like fresh snow just fallen on the forest floor. He remembered about being a pup, running through the trees, their bark a brownish ash gray, pouncing on grasshoppers, mice, and squirrels, preparing his future hunt of the hare and deer. His song-prayer rose to the pregnant belly of the moon. His heart ached because he was lonely. The females of his pack felt that they weren’t enough for him because of his beauty; the males attacked him because they were jealous. Although he was the strongest, he couldn’t take on all of then at once. Now the white wolf was a loner, wandering through the woods, unloved and unwanted.
White hadn’t paid attention to where he was traveling to until he lifted his head. Standing in bewilderment, he stared at a human in full view. The girl didn’t see him because she was facing away from him. He watched as she sown seeds onto the earth. Backing away slowly, he accidently stepped on a twig. Gasping, she twisted around. No other humans took any notice because she was well away from the others.
The girl smelled of earth, straw, and wildflowers, but not of fear. Her hair was a glistening black, like crow feathers. The wolf could tell by her eyes that she was an outcast like him. One eye was of the deep water blue, yet the other a pale leaf green.
White heard the calls of the other humans. The girl heard them, also. She stood to go, but not without one last glance at the brave white wolf.