Just Friends | Teen Ink

Just Friends MAG

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”

FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
This was amazingly written! It is really one of the best things I have read in a while. I like how she say "Me too" in the end, trying to make things right, but when things play out that will only make things worse.

I went through this once. It wasn't fun. but I'm still friends with the guy

SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Wow. This was great. I love how she lists all the signs and her feelings as shes' counting down the minutes untill she has to respond. You're getting ready for this let down at the end and then "poof!" a spark of happiness!(: Great Job.

Read some of my stuff, please?

aspiring.author.09 PLATINUM, Beaumont, Other
I took from it that she was lying to herself the whole time, (sort of in denial) and then realized what she really felt when the time came around (when he told her how he felt). :)

M.S.S. GOLD said...
M.S.S. GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"WACKADOO!!!" "You made a funny!" "Red Seven! Red Seven!! Red Seh-ven-a!!!" "Swaaaaag!!!!" "Ratchet" "God Said No" "God Said Yes"

I really love this story...you really made it realistic....i just have one question....the character is saying to herself that she doesn't feel the same way but at the end she says "Yeah. Me too." Is she lying or was she lying when she was telling herself she didn't like him back.

Soooo amazing. I have a best guy friend like that. I can only hope it won't turn out like this! She (the character of your story) really lied and said basically: "Yeah. Me too. I love you."?!?! Wow!

I really like the mood you set in this story. Especially how you described the voices of all the students that seemed to echo. That made it clear that to the main character time seemed to slow.

hello.beautiful PLATINUM, New York, New York

Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. -Habakkuk 1:5

I Love This (:

dancingdaisies GOLD, Westborough, Massachusetts

" you can't get what you want until you know what you want"-Joe Jackson
"Dancing is like dreaming with your feet!"-Contanze
"Why are you talking about all of these thing you're getting & nothing about what you already have?"~MMEE!!:)

oh ym god this piece is so true. It somewhat reminds me of my piece, "denies of a hopeful heart"( not yet published) the only difference is mine doesn't have a happy ending.:(

zobean GOLD said...
zobean GOLD, Northfield, Massachusetts

"A Good player inspires themselves. A GREAT player inspires others."

I KNOW. Please tell!

weirdonpurpose SILVER, Georgetown, Texas

art is happening

so tell us... we are dying to know... was this a true experience?

kheart SILVER said...
kheart SILVER, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Every second is countless. Every minute is different. When you came around." -kheart

Great I love this! Please comment and rate my stuff. I like this it defines some relationships your no sure you want to have.

Katiebug98 SILVER, Boise, Idaho
nice language, i luv yer first person point of view thing...very realistic i oculd c it playin out in my mind. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE do a sequel. the ending was cool but i wanna hear even more!! keep it up, yer an awesome writer!!

spartanwriter BRONZE, Baden, Pennsylvania
Awesome story, amazing writing. Keep it up!

ilovetinkerbell GOLD, Raytown, Missouri

Be yourself!!!

I really like this. It is a similar way with me. I have two boys who really like me but the one I only see as a friend who will always be there for me. The other I see a guy i want to spend the rest of my life with. I know how it feels not wanting to hurt the one you only see as a friend.

Great job by the way.

sexxi nik said...
i liked your writing it was sweet but also sad

on Dec. 30 2009 at 10:02 am
sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

In a really weird way that was kind of sweet... but kind of sad. Bittersweet... I love your writing! Great job!

on Dec. 22 2009 at 11:41 am
It was AMAZING. I've been here before, lots of times, but WOW, that took courage. Amazingly visual. It felt as though I was actually there.

on Dec. 7 2009 at 4:22 am
AzureGal BRONZE, Malacca, Florida
Aww!! Loved it!! And i like the ending LOL.. =)

CarsonGooch BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." -Professor Dumbledore

This was amazing! I've been in this situation before, I loved it! Wonderfully put together, did you realize that you liked him? Or did you just want to stay friends and the only way was to not hurt his feelings?

casey261 GOLD said...
casey261 GOLD, Hainesport, New Jersey

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

loved it, so did she actually like him? or was she just trying to be nice? becuase it seemed like she liked him in the end even before she said it. Great story