Just Friends | Teen Ink

Just Friends MAG

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”

AussiMusicLover BRONZE, Central Coast, Other

When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams
The hottest love has the coldest end.
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop
Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.

Lol ima gonna use ur advice too.. sounds smart ;)

vampirexchickkk SILVER, Clinton, Connecticut
That's the whole point. She makes the sacrifice of dating him because she doesn't want to hurt him.

zippazap said...
I love teen ink!

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
i'm confused. i thought she didn't like him.

Ariel_Rosario BRONZE, Port Saint Lucie, Florida

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" -Oscar Wilde

I love this!!! This is great! My favorite line is "My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body." I can totally relate! Amazing work :)

-Ariel

WhiteShadows said...
WhiteShadows, Ocala, Florida

You've gotta work like you don't need the money/love like you'll never be hurt/
Sing like no one is listening/ and live like it's heaven on Earth.-Anonymous

Whoa surprising ending. I liked that a lot. Great vocabulary and quite relatable. This is going on my favorites list!!

G_R_A_C_I_E GOLD, Colonial Heights, Virginia

"We are where we are, but we choose where we go." ~Anonymous

Loved it! Excellent word usage. Very Realistic. Suspenseful with a satisfying ending. A whole story in a few words. Great Job.

steph06 said...
This is an incredible piece of writing. I was sucked in right from the first word and so sad when it ended. You are so very talanted, keep it up!

Seelix PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
Wonderful! It's very realistic too, alot of people freakout when their friend likes them and they don't like him/her back, and you never realy know if lying or telling your freind how you realy feel is better. I love how abruptly you ended it. Thank you!

BaileyBaby13 BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington
I couldn't stop reading, it's so intriguing...spelling on that? haha. but anyways, excellent word choice. It's adorable, 5 stars,(:

Mandinova SILVER, Danville, Kentucky

Man performs and engenders so much more than he can or should have to bear. That's how he finds that he can bear anything. ~William Faulkner And "When life gives you Lemons ... you squeze them in someones eye!" yea i bet you just giggled a little

AWWWWWW this is adorable!!!!

melonchollie said...
melonchollie, Germantown, Maryland
i have chills right now from reading this. it's so amazing... 

Thrush BRONZE said...
Thrush BRONZE, Tegaad, Other

"Live life to it's fullest extent, it's the only life you've got" "Enjoy yourself, be yourself, love yourself"

I love the ending.

kfelt158 SILVER, New Era, Michigan

"A dream will only be a dream until you work hard to make it a reality."

Wow!  Great story; I really loved it!  Can you please take a look at some of my work?  It would mean so much :)

This was a really nice piece of work, it followed the same mood all the way through and the sentences were really well constructed. You had good imagery, things like "I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me", all very well written. Good job and keep on writing :)

angel said...
very good article and well in this mood

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Very nice, keep writing!

EllenP. SILVER said...
EllenP. SILVER, Dededo, Guam, Other

not actually a quote but it was said in Degrassi by Johny...
"It may not have been my first time, but it was my first time doing it with someone i like"

this article is magnificent... it really deserved to be in the magazine.

and everyone please read "Surviving love and war" chapter's 1 and 2...

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

Awwwww!! I love it!!! Great work!!!

GodsStudent BRONZE, Abc, Other
You're welcome! xD, just think of me as the "answer dude" haha