To Hell with You | Teen Ink

To Hell with You

October 25, 2022
By TheRareBreed PLATINUM, Lambertville, Michigan
TheRareBreed PLATINUM, Lambertville, Michigan
43 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I guess that means we're just products of whoever made us and we don't have much control. The thing is, when people use that phrase, they ignore the most critical part: the falling. Within the logic of that saying, the apple falls every single time. Not falling isn't an option. So, if the apple has to fall, the most important question in my mind is what happens to it upon hitting the ground? Does it touch down with barely a scratch? Or does it smash on impact? Two vastly different fates. When you think about it, who cares about its proximity to the tree or what type of tree spawned it? What really makes all the difference, then, is how we land.”
― Val Emmich, Dear Evan Hansen


As the wind whipped past, striking my skin with the bitter cold, I looked onward into the storm. The rain slammed harshly against my head, leaving a loud thud after each droplet that touched me reverbed within my mind. Taking a deep breath of the salty-sweet air, the world is obsessed with this scent lately. Too salty to drink, and too sweet to ignore.  I see it finally, the source of the cursed wind that has rubbed my skin raw. The eye of the hurricane which those say is quiet. I wonder why they believe that. If that center which is warm and calm truly can bring the peace we all seek.


Turning away from this idea, I drag my feet against the pulling wind of change and destruction around me. Everyone evacuated long ago, but I couldn't help but stay in the face of the inevitable fate of the town around me. I hoped, no, prayed for everything to be left untouched in this foolish idea that nothing could possibly happen to the world I've envisioned. That nothing could ever destroy the lies on which I've built my mind.


All around I can hear the voices of a past life, a memory of a world I once was a part of. The whispers grow around me like a fire in my mind, burning and spreading till nothing but the past is what I must endure. The landscape around me shifts, melting and calibrating its new sleeker design. The factory shines and shimmers like new. The factory I thought id be made at just for you. The latest parts are all here. Arms and legs, brains and lungs. You chose the parts. You dropped my mind. Even though it shattered, you put it inside. 


When life came to me, i awoke for the first time. I dreamed for so long, yet its all just a lie. You told me that youd be here forever. Hold me close when times were cruel. Its all a lie. I know that you played me as a fool. You pushed me away, told me i didnt belong. I fell to my knees and smiled at the ground. I said the first words that came to mind. I smiled and laughed in denial of it all, “Ill be back when you least expect it. Stronger, faster, smarter. Heaven forbid you here to see because hells coming with the robotic version of me.


I wanted to be a machine. Because for every time id break, id just get fixed and make the same damn mistake. I see myself going down the line, monotone expression by design. I add new pieces and labels to replace, mostly ones that are fragile and break. Turn my head once again, this is my mind, and this is the end. Take the gas that runs the place, pour it out all over my face. Burn it down with the strike of a match. I won't let you break me I swear and act. So I’ll strike the match and watch it burn. Watch it flare closer to my fingers and smile into the flame. I finally broke for the final time, and drop the match to end the game. End the world of you that drove me insane. I had the power to set my world aflame, and I chose to use it to get you out of my brain.


Burn your image to the ground, now im lost, and yet im found. Call it a day, ill go to sleep. My final goodbye so you don't weep. Smiles from afar, I bid you adieu. Now take your leave, to hell with you.


The author's comments:

This is about a heartbreak I had experienced a while ago, Thought something good should come out of it even if only years later.