Ku the Bird | Teen Ink

Ku the Bird

May 18, 2009
By lalalala<3<3<3 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
lalalala<3<3<3 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
6 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pessimist : A person who says that O is the last letter of ZERO, instead of the first letter in word OPPORTUNITY.”
- Anonymous


Once upon a time there was a bird named Ku that was completely bald. He hated being bald and would do anything to have feathers like all the other birds. Ever since Ku was a little bird all the other little birds would make fun of him. All of the other birds were different colors: blue, red, yellow, orange. But not Ku he was bald, he was born bald and he was sure that that was the way it was going to be for the rest of his life.

Many years passed and then one day Ku met a beautiful colorful female bird by the name of Estella. Estella was very kind and was in love with Ku. Ku reciprocated that love and was very happy that he had finally found someone to share his life with. They spent all their time together and eventually started thinking about marriage.

A couple of days before they got married the head bird sent for Ku. When Ku arrived the head bird told him that he was assigned to a mission. The mission was to carry a message across the ocean to a flock in the east. He accepted the mission and went home to tell Estella. Estella accepted the fact sadly and then bid farewell to Ku. Ku promised that when he returned that he would marry her and they would be together for the rest of their lives. Estella promised that she would never forget him and would never love another bird as much as she loved him. She promised to never love anyone ever again until he came back for her.

Ku left dismally and again promised to be back to get married. He left and the whole way there thought about his dear Estella and his love for her. After flying for about 3 hours Ku ran into a flock of birds that were extremely colorful. There was a bird of each of the colors of the rainbow and Ku was amazed at the beautiful sight. In the flock there was a beautiful bird named Clarisse that reminded him of his Estella. After being convinced to stay for a while with the colorful flock, Clarisse pronounced her love for Ku. Ku was stunned and he almost dropped dead when the flock asked him to stay. Ku told him that he had a home and that he was happy, but he refused to tell them about Estella.

The birds wouldn’t give up and they offered something that ku had dreamt of all his life. Each bird said they would each give ku a feather and then they would make him a rainbow bird. Without thinking ku accepted and immediately gathered up all the feathers. In a matter of minutes he was the most colorful bird in the world. He looked in the mirror and was surprised to see splashes of red, orange, green, and blue. At that moment he thought of himself as the greatest bird in the world and thought that Estella was no longer worthy of being with him. He looked at himself vainly and quickly asked Clarisse to marry him. Clarisse accepted gladly and flew into his arms. They got married the next day and left to tour the world.

Estella waited for Ku for many years, and wouldn’t give up. Many told her that Ku had married and left to tour the world but she wouldn’t believe such nonsense. Many heard that he had died on the flight or that he had gotten lost, but Estella waited for him. Every morning bright and early Estella would fly all around singing “ku ku, ku ku, ku ku”
She never gave up and even in the after life continued to look for Ku.

Many say that today, you can still hear sad Estella mourning the loss of her Ku. Estella never stops singing her sad song “ ku ku, ku ku, ku ku.”


The author's comments:
This is a story my grandma used to tell me when i was little. hope you enjoy it.