Moonlight Music | Teen Ink

Moonlight Music

September 7, 2021
By aprilsunshinedavis BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
aprilsunshinedavis BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

~Jacques Cousteau


The tempest roared on outside, blowing trees, shaking houses, and seeping into the souls of many. The melancholy sound of a piano could be heard through it all, emulating such emotion that it was almost human. The piano and the player were one, melded together with a magic that spanned the ages. 


As raindrops dripped down the window, a tear wound its way across the player’s face, paving a path of sadness. Emotion coursed through his body. He couldn’t block it out any longer. He was too tired. Insomnia was his greatest weakness, but it allowed him to create masterpieces of music. 


A girl walked through the rain for no apparent reason. The mysterious aura of music pulled her in, and before she could register what she was doing, she walked straight through the unlocked door. She gasped when she saw the boy, but he didn’t notice her, even as she crept closer, enthralled by his music. 


Looking around at the amazing room surrounding her, she gazed at the walls of books in a panoramic view. It was like heaven. She was so focused on the books, running her hands along their ancient spines, that she didn’t notice when the music stopped. 


Realizing he wasn’t alone, he looked across the large ballroom like space at the girl. He tilted his head in confusion. “Who are you? Why are you here?” While it wasn’t his house, he still wasn’t accustomed to strangers walking in in the middle of the night. 


The girl startled, shocked to hear a voice. “I… I heard your music and came in.” 


“You know I could arrest you for trespassing, right?”


Her face paled, growing worried at the notion. 


“I wouldn’t do that, don’t worry. This isn’t even my house anyway. I’m just living in it for now.” 


“I’ll leave. I shouldn’t even be here anyway,” with that, she walked back into the storm and disappeared. 


It felt empty now that the girl was gone. He was disappointed at not having time to get to know her better, the mysterious girl who wandered in from a storm and disappeared. He turned back to the piano, playing with a greater intensity than before, the beautiful sound reverberating out into the storm surrounding him.