A PROUD SCAR | Teen Ink

A PROUD SCAR

By ishi_xoxo GOLD, Hyderabad, Other
ishi_xoxo GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

Scars do not define a person. Rather, they enrich an individual’s character through the process of pain, loss, and healing. Usually, scars and wounds have dark sides and gloomy memories. So, here it goes- I am a scar and this is my story. I happened to be born on a very thin person’s shoulder by a sword. He always wore khaki clothes and wore glasses. Yes, I was privileged to be born on the body of Mahatma Gandhi. My fellow scars always told that mortals always shout or cry when they get a wound. However, Bapu did not even show the slightest reaction, I always wondered why? I soon saw the famous ‘SIMON GO BACK’ campaign. Thousands of people shouting and rebelling in front of me and he, my owner felt pride in it. I again wondered why? Then I went to a conference in London in 1946. After the discussion was over, one of the British officials approached Bapu and said that this must have hurt a lot. Bapu replied that he is as proud of this wound. I again wondered why?

Then I got all my answers on 15th August 1947, when at the stroke of midnight everyone enjoyed their freedom. It then struck my mind that Gandhi Ji was proud of these scars because they depicted his struggles that he went through for the exemption of his people. He did not feel any pain because he knew that these wounds would one day lead to the breaking of chains of captivity. So, I am a proud scar and this was my story.