Catnap | Teen Ink

Catnap MAG

By Anonymous

   I lazily stretched my arm, extending it toward the ceiling, feeling the sleepy muscles grow taut. Once released, it flopped heavily onto the mattress, creating a small tremor. Sighing, I buried my head in the marshmallow fluffiness of the pillow. My position shifted as I made another attempt at comfort. Heaving my leg over the stifling blanket, I squirmed slightly. Now, with my toes dangling freely over the side of the bed, I lapsed into the haze of a forthcoming dream.

A tickling swish of fur against my toes awakened me again. The soft tail twitched delightedly, sporadic movements brushing my foot. Giggling, I pulled my leg under the covers, avoiding the feathery touch. Undaunted, the fuzzy beast leapt onto the bed, causing the springs to sink beneath me in an undulating wave. Inches from my face, it purred happily, daintily sniffing my hand with its damp nose. At the touch of this cold clamminess I pulled away, hiding my hand in a nest of smooth sheets. Pawing my neck playfully, Princess extended her friendly kitty handshake.

Eagerly waiting for acknowledgement, she pressed again, her firm, powerful paw stroking gently, resting her worn, tough pads solidly on me. With a gentle squeeze of a mother's reassuring hand, Princess tapped lightly on my chin

while settling in next to me. I felt myself grin as she kneaded the blankets, puncturing their frail skin with her razor sharp claws. Princess flopped beside me with feline femininity, emitting a low grunt. Warm air assaulted me, tuna fish and Nine Lives entered my nostrils in harsh blows, as I felt a slight depression in my pillow. Snuggling closer, Princess laid her face close to mine, bringing her warmth to me. I patted her round stomach, masked in long, silky fur. We rested there, comfortable in our friendship.

As I got up, Princess wiggled angrily, writhing in my turbulence. Now possessing the entire bed, she stretched luxuriously, her fragile head filling a small hollow in the pillow. I kissed her face, the soft fuzz tickling my lips. A rough, sandpaper tongue licked my hand in approval as I tucked the blankets around her, preserving the warmth. Stepping lightly, I crossed the threshold, closing the door softly behind me. n