The Kind Old Man | Teen Ink

The Kind Old Man

April 4, 2019
By JoshuaKim5 SILVER, San Juan Capistrano, California
JoshuaKim5 SILVER, San Juan Capistrano, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" -Ernest Hemingway


In the tiny village of Santiago Marco, there lived an old man at the outskirts of the village. He lived in a humble home, made of thatch and mud. He and his wife lived there happily for many years. They were popular within the village for their kindness and hostility. They took in anyone who was lonely, sad, or hungry. They were famous for their warm pies. Until one day, the old man’s wife passed away. The town mourned with the old man and the warmth the old man’s wife brought to the town slowly faded away. Despite his loss, the old man continued to take people it, to give people a roof above their head, and baking that same pie recipe. Everyone sympathized and appreciated his kindness despite the loss he had faced in his life. One day, while the man was on a walk, he came across a wizard who gave him two choices. Live and never be able to help anyone again or die. The wizard had hated the small town for many years and tried to bring it sadness by preventing the old man to help anyone. The old man had made his decision, and he had chosen death. The wizard was confused as to why the old man had chosen to die over living. The old man responded: “You have to be willing to die in order to truly live”. The wizard left and never returned and the old man returned to the village to continue spreading his warmth and love for the rest of his days.