Honorable Fatality | Teen Ink

Honorable Fatality

By Mutt5 BRONZE, North Port, Florida
Mutt5 BRONZE, North Port, Florida
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

What is more deadly, a gun or your mind? a gun gives you the opportunity to kill but your mind pulls the trigger.

I was recruited for one purpose, to assist soldiers by sniffing out I.E.P explosives in Afghanistan.  Five continuing years I have sat by my handler “Pete” side. I awakened to the sound of Muslim chanting their religion. I waited patiently Intel later that morning for Pete to arrive with my equipment, before departing the safety of the camp Pete Kneeled down to my level, giving me a pep talk, "bring us home safely, I know you will” As are unit, Exited the safety of the camp, introducing the dangers of Afghanistan, I had one job Find the I.E.P, one wrong move will kill my unit, as I leaded the soldiers through the town searching the ground for any explosives. Being able to sniff out I.E.P witch where the primary way the Muslim assassin the soldiers making the dogs the vastest target. After a long lingering day of clearing the town from I.E.P, I started to lead the Unit back to camp, as I started to Walk across the sandy road between two walls, when a grenade was chucked over the wall, landing in front of me and Pete, reacting to my train I sprang on to Pete pushing him out of the way, unfortunately I Was not quick enough, my body collapsed motionless on the sandy ground.
     Arousing up in pain on a comfortable cushion unaware of my environment, my mind races back to the incident, except all I was able to remember was the sensation of the ground juddering. My physique was entirely limp, I opened my eyes, seeing Pete in a profound slumber beside to me safe and sound, with all my vigor strength I whimpered awaking Pete, he gazed into my eyes and thanked me, he started weeping hugging my body. I fought for five years but this battle I was unable to defeat, I surrender Inhaling my last breath, exhaling my soul into the world, I observed from above as Pete, weep, embracing me in his arms, I watched as he carried my soulless body, positioning my corpus in the casket, draping the America flag, honoring me for my services. I was born for one purpose to assist my Handler that is what I have accomplished. I have died with great honor.