Boxes for Mrs. Hemp | Teen Ink

Boxes for Mrs. Hemp

January 8, 2015
By LWare BRONZE, Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
LWare BRONZE, Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, the word itself says I'm Possible.
~Audrey Hepburn


The rocket shuddered from the sudden impact. Benji looked out of his side window to see his brother, Nick’s, spaceship drifting next to him. The comets had made indents in the metal of the ship forcing him against Benji’s ship.  Nick was waving his arms screaming then, realizing Benji couldn’t here him, fumbled around to find the walkie talkie.


“Benji look ahead there is the green space station where we can finally finish this!” he shouted over the static of his ship malfunctioning.


“Okay meet me there!” Benji yelled his hands pressing buttons trying to control his ship. Nick flew away. Everything was silent except for the engine of the rocket pumping. For a brief moment everything was calm, then huge meteorites bombarded his ship sending it askew. He was going on the wrong path. When nothing else could possibly go wrong his fuel ran out. He was left hurtling through space looking at the passing stars; Nick’s face peering through the window of the space station fading away in the distance till it was meerly a speck.
Nick watched his brother leave, wishing he could do something to help but time was short and he needed to finish this for Mrs. Hemp. It was what he was set to do. Just as he was about to dispose of the wretched things the port shuddered and sent him tumbling across the floor. Red lights started flashing  like ambulence trucks and the station spun through space with Nick’s ship trailing behind. Nick reached desperately for the port and tried to grasp something. The “low oxygen” light was flashing. Blue and Red lights now flared through the space station. Nick gasped, then coughed. The oxygen level started to effect him.


The outline of the port started to look fuzzy. Nick’s head was pounding. He took one last breath and his lungs started to burn. His eyes fluttered shut. The space station now lifeless. Stayed flashing with no one to come and save it.


As death neared the poor boy, images started to flash through his mind. Memories. He had heard once that during your last eight minutes of brain activity, your brain replays your entire life. He now knew what it meant. It started when he was three at the beach. His mom and dad sat under the umbrella holding a small bundle. Next it flashed to his fourth birthday when he got a red fire truck. Then an image of Benji running through a field and Nick followed. Birthdays, Christmases, and Vacations floated by. The last image was Benji gliding away towards the sun. Nothing was left to live for. He was only six years old, Nick only ten. Too young, too innocent. Then everything went black.


He opened his eyes and saw the sun sink into the sky. He had tripped on a rock and saw his brother’s sweaty face next to him.


“That was awesome!” Benji said, showing his baby teeth. Both boys had a lot of grime and dirt on them. There knees and elbows scraped from the pavement. They sat up  amused by it. The boys finished putting the boxes in the dumpster and ran down street to their air conditioned home.to see there “space ships”. The cardboard was now tearing with the words “Kitchen” and “baby room” written there with black sharpie. Then they turned to a sound that made there ears bleed. A voice that brought darkness to the summer day.


“Nick, Benji! Supper!” their mother yelled from their brick house. It was simply another hot summer day in Wells, Maine and Mrs. Hemp was smiling from her new kitchen window. She had obviously seen the whole thing and was amused by it. The boys finished there work and ran home to their air conditioned  home.