The Necklace | Teen Ink

The Necklace

By AliceG BRONZE, Caronport, California
AliceG BRONZE, Caronport, California

say what you mean and mean what you say because people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.

“Grandmother, will you tell me a story before I go to bed? After all it is my birthday.” Irene snuggled up to the old woman in the chair who smiled at the eager, young child.

“First, I will give you a gift that comes with a story about me when I was your age. I think you will enjoy them both.” The grandmother reached into her pocket and pulled out a small box. Irene bounced with excitement as she opened the box. The little girl stood back in awe as she looked in the opened container. Inside, was a gorgeous necklace that was an emerald outlined in diamonds, held by a gold chain. The more Irene looked at the necklace the more it seemed to glow

“I-Its beautiful. It’s almost magic.” Irene whispered as if she would disturb the chain with her voice. The grandmother smiled as she began her tale.

“Long ago when I too believed in magic, I used to wander the woods to see if I could catch a fairy. I would carry a jar with me every day but I never found a soul. But, one day I saw her. A beautiful figure of my own height, dressed in a long green dress that flowed behind her covered in emeralds. She had long blond hair pulled back into a clip of diamonds. I tried to get closer to the girl but as soon as I moved she turned to me then vanished. I was sure I had seen a fairy and was determined to see her again.

The next day I charged off in the direction of the creek, where I saw her, hoping she would be there again. This time I stayed hidden as she picked flowers and collected berries. I so badly wanted to talk to her and play with her. But, I stayed hidden in the bushes. After awhile she tuned to go. As she turned she dropped one of her roses into a hole. I snapped alert that was a wolverine den if I ever saw one. And sure enough one of these mad old hairy animals leaped out of the hole. It snapped and growled at the girl. She gasped and stepped back right into the den. The girl pulled and tugged but she could not get her foot free. I reached for the knife my daddy gave me to make sure it was there. I yelled as I jumped out of the bushes. I started beating the angry animal with a stick hoping I would not have to kill him. “Run!” I shouted to her as she just got her foot out. She turned and fled into the woods. I beat that wolverine to a frazzle. It eventually ran off, screaming.

I wanted to go after the beautiful girl, but momma called me in for supper. Every day I went out to that creek to find my fairy. I searched for months but I never saw her again. One day I was going to the creek, saying I wanted wild flowers but really wanting to look for the fairy, I found a note on the ground. It said; thank you for saving me. I will keep watch over you always-Jewel. Beneath the letter, I found the very same necklace you have now. That’s the end, child. Bed time now.” The woman nudged the wide eyed child off her lap.

“But that can’t be the end! You never saw her again.” The little Irene looked at her grandmother determinedly.

“My child that is all I have to tell. Just because that was my ending doesn’t mean it’s you end of magic. After all, you have the necklace. She is with us there.” The grandmother kissed her good night and turned off the light. The little girl lay in bed thinking about the story. And then out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of green and blond just vanishing out of sight. “It could have been nothing.” She reminded herself. But she did not fall asleep for a long time.

this is Merely the beginning to a great adventure. wait to hear more.