The Not So Great Trip | Teen Ink

The Not So Great Trip

By Moira BRONZE, O&#39Fallon, Missouri
Moira BRONZE, O&#39Fallon, Missouri

The Not So Great Trip

It was a cold February morning when Adam kissed his girlfriend, Moira, on the cheek.
“Wake up.” he whispered.
Moira let out a quiet groan. “It’s too early Adam.” she whispered back. “Can’t we sleep just a little bit longer?”
Moira was far from being a morning person. It was only 7:30 in the morning, and they had a long drive to Minnesota ahead of them. Adam and Moira were going up to Minnesota to see his mom and sister who lived there. They planned on staying with Adam’s family for two nights. Moira packed up the car with blankets and snacks for their trip. She was so tired that as soon as she sat down in the comfortable passenger seat she dozed off.

As Adam was driving Moira was in a deep sleep. She didn’t have her license yet so she could not take turns driving during the long car ride with Adam. About four hours into driving Adam shook Moira’s shoulder.
Along their trip Adam had taken a wrong turn because when Moira looked out the window all she saw was corn fields for miles. Adam had made this trip to Minnesota many times before, but he had no idea where they were.

“Um babe. I don’t exactly know where we are…” Adam said in a quiet voice.
“What do you mean?” Moira asked.
“I must have just taken a wrong turn. I was getting tired a few hours back and not really paying close attention to the road. I think I missed an exit or something.” Adam replied.
Adam took out his phone and then looked over at Moira with a discouraging look. There was so service. He told her to check her phone to see if she had any service. Adam watched as Moira looked down at her phone hoping to god that she would have at least one bar. Of course when she looked up she told her that she didn’t have any service either. Since their phones had no service they could not call anyone for directions or help. Adam had no clue what to do. They were stuck in the middle of nowhere. Adam felt awful because he had basically begged Moira to join him on the trip to Minnesota to meet his mom. He didn’t want to have to drive alone all the way their. He was so happy when Moira had agreed to go, and now he had got them lost.
Adam kept driving looking for somewhere to stop and ask for directions when he noticed that they were running very low on gas. Adam and Moira prayed to see a gas station coming up. After what seemed like hours of driving a gas station finally appeared in the distance.
“Thank god.” they both said at the same time.
It was around 9 o’clock at night and when they realized they only made it about halfway through Iowa. Adam decided he could no longer keep driving because he was too tired. Near the gas station was a creepy and small motel. They didn’t have much money so they decided staying in the motel was their only choice.
When Adam and Moira checked in to the motel and walked into the room it was worse than they both had expected. They glanced at each other with an unsure look on both of their faces.
“I feel like someone died in this room. Do you smell that?” Moira said.
“Well at least this will make an interesting story some day.” Adam replied.
They busted out laughing thinking about their trip so far. What had they gotten themselves into?
Moira walked to the bed and sat down. The bed was a small twin sized mattress with an old beat up feel to it. Moira had no idea how they were both going to somehow share the bed. Adam came up and sat next to her. She looked around the room and realized there was no television in the room either. This was definitely going to be a long, boring night.
“I’m really sorry… I feel bad that we had to stop at this crappy hotel for night. I wasn’t planning on getting us lost.” he said.
“It’s fine.” Moira said as she rubbed his shoulder. “At least it’s just one night. And hey, at least the bed is kind of comfy.” Moira replied with a smirk.
As the night went on Adam and Moira were getting tired. They cuddled up in the small bed.
“Goodnight.” Adam said as he kissed Moira on the cheek.
About an hour into falling asleep Moira woke up to get an aspirin out of her bag. She walked across the dark room to where she had set down her bag earlier. She didn’t want to wake Adam so she didn’t turn the light on. As she bent down for her bag she felt a small creature move across her foot.
“Adam! Help!” Moira exclaimed.
Adam jumped out of bed and ran to flip on the light. Right as the light turned on Moira looked across the room and saw a small mouse huddled against the wall.
“Calm down. It’s okay babe. It was just a mouse.” Adam said.
“I can’t sleep in here. We need to leave… I’m freaked out.” Moira said back.
“It’s four in the morning… Just let me sleep a few more hours than we can leave.” he said.
“Fine. You can sleep in here but I’m going out to the car.” replied Moira.
Moira grabbed her bag off the floor and walked out of the room. She heard Adam following behind her. A wave of relief hit her. She really didn’t want to sit out in the cold car by herself in the parking lot. Adam caught up to her and grabbed her arm.
“Fine. We can sleep in the car. I’m not going to let you sleep out there by yourself.” Adam said with an annoyed look on his face.
Adam and Moira walked slowly out to the car while the cold winter wind blew in their faces. Moira was so tired and exhausted that she immediately fell straight to sleep. The next morning the bright glare of the sun woke them up as it shown through the window.
“What a night.” Adam said as he tried stretching his arms in the small car.
“Now to Minnesota we go.” Moira replied with a smirk.