the game | Teen Ink

the game

Their I was. The last minute of the game, and I had the ball. I only had to get threw one last person, then their was the goal. But, before I get to ahead of myself let me explain who I am. My name is Rosie Monet, and I am going to tell my story.
Ever since I was a little kid, I have always wanted to become a singer. I sang all the time, at night, in my shower, even in school. My parents didn’t want me to become a singer because all the famous people were “bad people,” as my parents would say. Also, they were all about sports, guess what they made me do next. Yes, they made me try out for every sport.
The first sport I tried was soccer. It was really fun and I enjoyed it so much I never wanted to quit. It was nothing like singing, because I actually had to run on the beautiful green grass. The ball so round and small just perfect. The first pair of cleats I got were amazing. People just thought they were just normal black and white cleats, but to me they were much more. They were my future to many more pairs. Soccer isn’t the only sport my parents wanted me to play, I also played basketball.
My parents tried to incorporate soccer and basketball together but it was too much work for a little kid like I was. Not much I can say about basketball except that I didn’t like it at all. I used to always cry when I had to go to practice. The reason for this was, a boy on my team. I remember him, and oh my gosh I hated him. He always made fun of me, how I shoot the ball, or how I dribble the ball. We had to take pictures of ourselves, and I couldn’t do it while he was in the room. I remember just sitting there, crying. Holding the round orange ball, I had to have everyone on the team take a pic with me except the oh-I’m-too-good-for-you guy. I swore from the day it ended I would never play basketball again.
I went right back to soccer. Something about it just changed me. No mean boys, or no annoying ones at that, just none at all. I was really enjoying soccer at the age of six, that my parents thought I should try another sport I might like. Softball is a sport that you play when you are older, so my parents put me in T-ball. It wasn’t as bad as basketball, but it still wasn’t soccer. The small white ball, on the T was impossible the hit. Running in circles, or diamonds were no fun at all either. The people were a lot nicer though. Everyone was very supportive and nice. But still T-ball was not my thing. I begged my parents to just let me stay with soccer, and they let me.
I have played soccer since I was four and have loved it. My parents let me join club at the age of seven. I had to play with my older sister on the “big kids” team. Club soccer with older people is way more intense than any other team. This is because you have to show the coach that you are way better than half of the players out there. It turns out the coach for my first team was a total not fair coach, and only played the good players, so I had to quit. My parents found an even better club team SLO Storm. I had to go threw two coaches to finally get the good one.
Let’s just say that my first coach on Storm was a girl. Her name was Rebah and she had no idea what she was doing. I honestly hated the team because she was our coach.She was like a chicken running with her head chopped off, but worse. She knew what she was doing, but she was just insane. That year we didn’t win any games. Then along came Jared, he was pretty chill. He knew how to coach just not the right way. He told us to boot the ball whenever we got it, not posses or anything. We lost all that year too. Now two years have gone by with straight losses. Jared gets fired and our assistant coach, Bernardo, becomes our coach. He has been my coach for two years and we are now the 49th best team in the league, out of 279.
We finally get to go to a very big tournament, Nomads. It’s where the best of the best teams compete, and for the first time in forever our team gets to go. We win our first game 1-0 and loose our second 1-0. We have to win this final game to go to the championship. We play against the number one team ever and we are tied 0-0 half way threw. The whistle blows and it’s time to start the second half.
They get kick off, and kick the ball right to our goalie. Our goalie kicks it up to the forward and she gets it and passes it off. I CAN’T BELIEVE, IT WE SCORED!!! We were so excited we just screamed, but it wasn’t over yet. Half way threw the second half they scored and tied the game up 1-1. Down to the last minute, and I have the ball. Thinking to myself, “All I have to do is score, just get around the goalie easy right? But what if I miss, and mess up everything?” I shoot the ball, and guess what, the game is over.

I love soccer.. so I wrote about it