The Story - James Walker | Teen Ink

The Story - James Walker

February 14, 2014
By BlueDevil15 BRONZE, Richmond Heights, Missouri
BlueDevil15 BRONZE, Richmond Heights, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you want it, you must will it. If you will it, it will be yours."


My name is James Chrystopher Walker, I am 17 years old and currently a Senior in High School. I am a Varsity Soccer player on my High School’ soccer team and I am very proficient on the field. Gimme a ball and I will show you the true meaning of Soccer. This year is my year to be scouted by multiple colleges, but I will only take one that offers me the most money and will get my name out in the world for when I plan to go pro. Though my “easy simple” planned out life all took a drastic change one night when my parents showed up at our house late one night returning from my recently passed grandfather’s and grandmother’s (still living) house.
*Knock Knock Knock*
“I knew I heard someone knocking on the door”, I mumbled as I stumbled out of bed.
*Knock Knock Knock Knock*
“I’m comin I’m comin!” I said with a more annoyed tone in my voice. “Who would be here at this time and hour, people are tryin to sleep.” I mumbled to myself.
I arrived at the door and I looked through the peep whole and I saw that my father was carrying my mother on her back with a distraught face torn with both pain and agony. I immediately opened the door before she reached out to knock on the door once more.

I helped my mother carry my father in with one of his arms laced over our shoulders. My mother was breathing very very rapidly and heavily, she began mumbling something... “Mom, you have to speak up. What’re you saying?” I asked with a very frustrated tone.

At that moment she pulled out a brownish cotton bag and inside of it was a box of some sort, “Your father opened this box and within the box was a bracelet, a feather, and a note. He touched the bracelet and he fell over and was out-cold, then all of a sudden gun shots began firing and people began to scream. I didn’t know what to do so I grabbed the box and came here with your father..” She began to cry..

I took the box from my mother carefully removing the bracelet and the feather, then it came to the letter. I pulled it out slowly and cautiously; it read

Dear Whoever finds this letter,
If you have found this you are in grave danger! Inside this jewelry box was a feather and a diamond encrusted bracelet. If you have touched the hairs on the feather then you have set off a sensor to warn a group known as the “Shadows’” that the bracelet has been found and they WILL BE COMING AFTER YOU. Next if you have, and I know you have touched the bracelet, be warned that the bracelet was covered in very thin layer of a dust that is able to catch your finger prints. So be aware! THEY WILL BE COMING AFTER YOU! My advice for you would be.. RUN! AND NEVER COME BACK TO THIS HOUSE! RUN RUN RUN!!!!



“Mom.. that’s crazy! Why did you come here!? Why was that box there!? Why is dad unconscious!? Why is..” My mother gave me a quick crisp smack across my face silencing me.

“James Chrystopher Walker! Shut your mouth! You’re going to give me a heart attack! I told you everything that happened and what you know is all the information I have to offer!” Shouted my mother choking back tears gasping for air.

“Alright ma.. I’m sorry.. Here sit down with dad lemme get you some water..” I said walking off to our kitchen grabbing a glass of ice and a bottle of Aquafina water. I couldn’t believe what was going right now. I woke up this morning a regular teen going to school ready for his senior year to fly by and head off to go pro! Now I had some group of guys called the “Shadows” coming after my dad! My life was about to take a huge turn and I didn’t like how that sounded. “Here’s your water ma..”.

“Thanks.. *sigh* I wish your father would wake up..” Mumbled my mother as she looked over at him lying down next to her on the couch.

“Me too ma.. I know you don’t feel like answering anymore questions right now, but should we like leave or something?” I said very distraughtly.

“I honestly do not know James.. Maybe we should, but from what it sounds like these “Shadows” will be coming after your father who knows when. Though we should do something soon. We probably should get as far away from here as possible..” My mother said with a strained look plastered amongst her face.
At that moment, it was clear, my life would and will be changing as of now. I did not like the sound of it, but there was nothing else I could do, as of now my father’s and most like my mother’s safety were my main priority. I had to make sure that they were safe and that I could do anything and everything to make it so that these “Shadows” did NOT get to either of them. Though there were many different things tied all into this and what my next moves would be, school, my girlfriend, and my soccer career; I had scouts planned to come out and watch me this season! Now I was not going to be able to attend my games, but I would be running away risking my life to protect my mother, my father, and myself from these “Shadows”. I couldn’t think about that right now, especially after I look over at my pale sunken in faced father. He looked almost as if he were.. dead. That right there was enough and I couldn’t handle it. I made it official right then and there, “Ma.. we’re going to have to get away, I mean FAR AWAY. Maybe leave the state or somethin, but this letter sounds like the “Shadows” mean business and they WILL be coming after dad..”
“I understand, but where would we go James..?” Asked my distraught mother.
“I don’t know ma, but it’s gotta be somewhere far away. For all we know we could be traveling unable to settle down, but I don’t know” I replied.

“ I see.. Well we should probably figure something out soon, because I have a bad feeling about all of this James..” My mother said.

“Wait…”, I said listening to the short sounds of cars skidding to a stop in front our house. “Do you hear that mom…? It sounds like…” I couldn’t even finish my sentence when the sound of gunshots went off…

My mother screaming… That was the last thing I remember was my mother screaming… I was talking to my mother about us having to make plans to move away and get as far away from the Shadows, but in the midst of our conversation shots erupted and glass began to break and the sound of doors bursting open. First thought in my head was that I had to protect my mother and grab my father and make it so that we were as far away from the gunshots as possible. So I grabbed my mother, my father and I stuffed the feather, the diamond necklace, and the note inside the jewelry box. Before the large pale men covered in dark gray coats and black sunglasses, burst into the door my mother and I were out the door with an arm of my father thrown over each of our shoulders; I held the box in my hand with the items that seemed as though they were the main thing they were after.

My mother and I were on the move for some time now, almost seemed like days had gone by since the shadows were at our house. I could see the grief and the aching pain in my moms face as we continued to move onward. Last night we decided it would be best for us if we stopped for a while and found some place we could stay for the night and gather some food to fill the void of emptiness that had taken up the whole in my lower gut known as our stomach. The hunger grew stronger and stronger as we walked further and further. It was very difficult to see straight and to be able to move, but we had no choice, BUT to keep moving. This was a life and death situation and I had to do something about it, I had to first keep my mother and father safe, and then find out why these random items were so important and why my father wouldn’t wake up! First things first, my mother and I found a small little motel that “looked” abandon and untouched, so we took it upon us to move forth and take refuge there for the night.

“M-y-st-ère motel de ma-gie…?”, I said with a slightly confused tone in my voice and lack of accent.

“Honey… it says ‘mystery motel of magic’, but in French.”, my mother stated. Oh did I forget to mention that my mother speaks fluently in 6 different languages; Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, & Russian! I on the other hand only take pride in speaking plain old fashion American English.

“Whatever, it looks like no one else is here. How about we just stay here for the night?”, I asked.

“I really could care less at the moment, I need to lay down! What about food?”, pleaded my mother.

“I run to a mini-mart, I saw one while we were on our way here. You get inside and dad too, then I’ll go and grab some stuff that we need.” The last thing that I wanted to do was leave my mom alone, but it was almost a “no-brainer”, I had to get some food and I had to make sure that she got some sleep and some rest, but most of all I had to make sure that she was out of harms way. By god all I ever wanted to do was keep her safe, but this was one of the hardest things I could ever do.

“Alright. Well hurry back, and please please P-L-E-A-S-E be careful!”, my mom begged with a quick kiss to my cheek and a hug. At that very moment I was off and on my way to the mini-mart, it was dark as hell and I could not see a damn thing, but the faint flickering light emitting from the mini-mart’s sign! It read, “food4less”. The inside of the building was lit, but not by much.

I was very cautious to go on and enter the building, because of how ominous it was, there was something about it that made it send a shiver down spine and the hairs on my neck stick up like there was some ‘static’ in the air. I looked through the door and that the only light filling the void of darkness was and that came from the backside where there was the hum of refrigerators trying to keep the food cool. Then out of nowhere there it was, fog. Fog was everywhere, the soles of my feet began to get covered by the thick white cloud. At that moment I knew it was time to go, first thing I went to find was water, because water was essential. Next was some type of food that was non-perishable and could be eaten at anytime without having to get heated or warmed up and was somewhat filling. With the current situation I had to do all that I could to get out, because the fog was rising and had already reached my waist….

To be continued…