On-Edge Book! | Teen Ink

On-Edge Book!

By zanabli BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
zanabli BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

Suzzane Collins was the author of this amazing book. She is an outstanding author because she uses a lot of descriptive text and she incorporates a lot of action. The Hunger Games trilogy isn’t the only series she has written, but it is the most recent. The Gregor series were written by Suzzane from 2003 to 2007. There are about five books in this series. She was a more success on the Hunger Games than the Gregor series and she became the most popular with the Hunger Games trilogy. I enjoyed the Hunger Games so much and I think you would too, so you should go ahead and read it!

Have you ever thought how life would be in the future? How we are going to rule, or in general, the way people will act to the changes. Or perhaps, World War Thee? I would like to introduce you to a fictional novel that will take you on an action-packed adventure, in which Suzzane Collins narrates through a sixteen-year old. The story takes place in the future of North America, or Panem, after a traumatic uprising broke out causing the result of separation between thirteen districts, and a capitol, therefore conducting the Treaty of Treason. However, during the revolution, before the treaty, district thirteen was destroyed. The farther the distance between the capitol and the district, the poorer the people, the harder it is to battle starvation. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mallerk are average teenagers in district twelve (coal mining district) trying to keep their families alive in the very harsh conditions, that Katniss especially has to endure. In this futuristic society, one male and one female in each district are required to attend the Hunger Games. Why? To shed forgiveness because of the uprising by sacrificing two innocent children from ages twelve to eighteen, to fight to the death and purposely turn on one another, until one tribute from the twenty-four are standing. The Hunger Games is filmed via camera showing strategy and suffering presented as a form of entertainment and is mandatory for all of Panem to watch. These are called the Hunger Games.

The night before the reaping (a raffle to determine the electives of the Hunger Games) Katniss' beloved sister, Primrose, who just turned twelve was terrified out of her mind while Katniss sang an ancient lullaby to calm her. "I try to protect Primrose in every way I can, but I am powerless against the reaping." Katniss thought about the odds of herself being chosen. Out of thousands of tickets, Katniss' name was written twenty-two times. That is mainly to help feed her family by exchanging her name in the pool for grains and oils. "Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in you favor!" That is Effie's (spokeswomen) annual signature phrase. All of Panem's cameras watched closely as Effie chirps "Ladies first!" then continues to the pool of names and lightly floats her hand on top of the pool with the girls names. Collins describes in her book that "The crowd draws in a collective breath, and then you can hear a pin drop, and I am feeling nauseous and so ever desperately hoping that it's not me, it's not me, it's not me" Effie walks back to the stage, next to the microphone and unscrambles the piece of paper and reads it in a loud and clear voice. "And it’s not me. It’s Primrose Everdeen."
Collins describes Katniss as though she went completely insane. First she went from the feeling of falling, then to fainting, and last to denial. She finally came back to her senses after she saw Prim walk up the stairs to the stage. She shouts Prim s couple times, but then "with one sweep of my arm, I push her behind me. I volunteer! I gasp. I volunteer as tribute." That was the first time someone has volunteered in the history of district twelve. "Lovely!" Effie says. Prim was screaming hysterically behind Katniss. "No Katniss! No! You can't go!" Katniss knows that if she hears Prim one more time she will start to cry, so with anger and force she shouts for Prim to let go. She thought that she couldn't make it look like she is a weakling in front of the whole country by crying. "Let go!" Katniss ordered. "Now for the boys" Effie says delightfully and she pulls a ticket from the boy's pool. Someone named Peeta Mallerk was chosen as the boy tribute. "Oh no! I thought" Katniss thought as she tried to remember whether or not he was the baker’s son, but then Effie’s voice drained her out of thought. "Come on everybody let’s give our two new tributes a round of applause!" Effie trills. Everyone stays dead silent and not one person claps. Instead they took part in the "boldest dissent they can manage: silence. Which means we do not condone. We do not agree. This is all wrong." Unexpectedly out of the corner of Katniss' eye, a shift of weight has occurred since she stood up to take Prim's place. First one person, then the next, then everyone in the crowd kisses their three middle fingers and places it in the air out to Katniss. This was an ancient gesture that district twelve rarely used that symbolized thankfulness, admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.
For the next couple of weeks the duo went to talk shows, celebrations, runway event, and to the training center. Their mentor Haymitch helped, guided, and gave them good tips on surviving. Soon each had an image created- Katniss as the 'Girl on Fire' (thanks to her stylist Cenna) and Peeta as 'Lover Boy'. Then Haymnitch told Katniss and Peeta that the only way to survive was to get sponsors, or in other words, it is to act as if Peeta and Katniss were star crossed-lovers. Throughout the rest of the book there were many twists and turns, that were unpredictable. Alliances bloomed and enemies were created. On top of all the bloody battles between the tributes, there were symmetrical fires, thundering storms, furious fireballs, and crazy rabid mutt dogs. Be prepared to absorb all the action. You will find out that Katniss will have to give it her 'all' in the arena if she wants to survive. Intense, graphic action along with a touch of romance makes a wonderful adventure that you must read! Trust me though, once you start the book, make it mandatory that you are comfortable, because you won't be able to move one inch until you are completely finished with the book. Overall, this book made me look at life in a whole different and new perspective.

Katniss Everdeen is a survivor. She has to be; she is representing district twelve in the seventy-fourth Hunger Games. Two punish citizens for their rebellion; the rule requires one man and woman to fight like gladiators in a futuristic arena while they are televised. The arena was created by Game-makers who are cruel and cold-hearted. In my opinion, I think this book deserves five stars. It has great suspense and clever strategies. There were moments that surprised me and there were others that I never foresaw. This book is definitely a must-read that nobody should miss out on!
In conclusion, this is far by one of the best books I have ever read. It is very descriptive and it kept me on edge the whole time. It is very suspenseful and it made me want to read the rest of the series and more. All of my friends and I adore this book! I recommend this book to everyone. If you haven’t read the Hunger Games or its trilogy, I suggest you read it immediately!

I thought this book was amazing! If you havnt read this book, you practically havent lived! It is definetly a must read.