The Mindless | Teen Ink

The Mindless

The Mindless

She stalked down the hall, quietly, unnoticed. She had the eyes of a huntress and the aura of a storm. Her shoes made no noise yet the air around her charged with the threat she carried. She opened the door at the end, which lead into a small apartment. It smelled of smoke and perfume. There were men and women walked around listless. She walked right in fully aware of everyone around her.

The man she sought was sitting, erect, in a chair by the kitchen. He looked up in surprise he grabbed him by the collar and started dragging him out of the apartment. He put up a struggle and finally said, “epíthesi?!” That’s when everyone seemed to lose their conscious and they surrounded her with a dullness that seemed unnatural. As if they were one mind they shuffled forwards, grappling with her the free the man.

They where clumsy if nothing else, but extremely strong, and unnaturally quiet. They didn’t even grunt when hit, as if their minds didn’t register that had been hurt. And actually it didn’t. These ‘people’ where a new type of zombie. They started out as bloodthirsty beasts but had been bread into a finely tuned instrument. They even seemed normal from a distance, which made them ideal. It was getting harder to weed them out. Normal people where sometimes accidently killed as well as the zombies.

The man she was trying to bring in was one of the minor scientists that helped develop the drug that made these people into what they where. She needed him to get to the major ones, and soon before they perfected it. If they did, scores of people would die.

The chemical they developed creates a barrier in the brain, making it impossible to feel awake, pain or any kind of emotion. It also has high amounts of steroids and that’s where they get their strength. The real problem is that they can function almost like a regular human, but they can be trained to attack at a moments notice. They can even breed like a human, but the results aren’t worth describing.

She fought with the zombies as they attempted to subdue her. One hit her in the jaw almost breaking it. She got up stunned. She grabbed and a smoke grenade and threw it at them throwing the zombies into a trance, rendering them useless. She stalked towards the scientist, grabbed him by the collar and knocked him unconscious. She pulled out her phone and just as she was about to call in back-up a text message appeared.

YOU’RE NOT EVEN CLOSE

She closed the message annoyed. She placed the call and left the scene to avoid any unwanted questions. She didn’t notice that she had been bitten as she got in her car. And drove away slowly losing her humanity.