Never Forget | Teen Ink

Never Forget

By LauraMeghan BRONZE, Salem, New Hampshire
LauraMeghan BRONZE, Salem, New Hampshire

Wandering the city streets all alone. Can't see it but I can feel the cold, penetrating darkness peering around every bricked corner. Eyes, staring, watching, waiting. I feel their gaze with a sense of dread settling deep in my gut. I know they're there. I can't lose focus, can't make one wrong step, or else...

They are waiting. But they will come. My heart pounds. I''ll fight to the death but I know I won't survive. Fear permeates the air, settling like a think fog throughout the entire seemingly abandoned city, clouding my senses and my judgement, creating the perfect amount of cover for them to come creeping closer. The dank, heavy air presses all around me, suffocating me. I can barely breathe. I close my eyes for just a moment, trying to slow my beating heart and re-adjust my fear-spun senses -- but on moment is all it takes. My foot catches on an uneven stone on the sidewalk, and before I realize what has happened I am sprawled out face down, the taste of grime and dust thick on my tongue.

Then I hear it.

The quick, light pattering of feet reaches my ears, growing steadily louder. They are coming. I feel the warm blood sliding down my cheek from the gash in my forehead and I know it's no use. There's so many of them, I can hear them so clearly now, and just one of me. I lift my head, see the eery orange eyes moving closer, glowing through the mist. They're so close now, I can hear their panting breath. I want to tear my eyes away but I can't, those strange eyes morbidly entrancing. All I can wonder is will it hurt, will it hurt? I can see them clearly now, just inches away, and those eyes, those terrible glowing orange eyes, I will never forget those --

Thanks!! I'm honestly not really sure, it was more or less one of those pieces that just starts and finishes by itself

MysticIndigo SILVER, Kent, Ohio
I love the intensity of this piece! I'd love to know your inspiration for it!