Assassin for Hire: Meeting the Rents | Teen Ink

Assassin for Hire: Meeting the Rents

By sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut
sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut

“Hey mom…dad.” Those words seemed to echo in the awkward silence that followed, as I gawked at my parents like a fish. Luckily my mouth wasn’t hanging opened, and was just set in a taut line.

Alright…I’ll admit it now; those are the last words I thought I would be saying today. Come to think of it…no. I hadn’t been expecting to say them at all. I hadn’t seen my parents since college started and they had seen me off, and now they were just…here. Staring at my with those worrying parent glances.

I noticed though that they were casting awkward side-glances at the boy that sat next to my bed, his hand retreating from my own. Before it rushed back, and clutched my hand again. Good move James, if you’d let go my father might actually think you were afraid of him.

Though I was pretty sure that James was scared of my dad, which was a little sad. Considering he killed people for a job, and was currently afraid of a forty-seven year old man, and was possibly also afraid of his forty-five year old wife.

“U-Uh…hey guys.” I muttered out quickly, only realizing now how truly weak my voice sounded. Further emphasized by the white walls of the hospital room that seemed to be slowly closing in on me, making me feel more trapped by the second.

“Was it a d*mned motorcycle accident!?” my dad shot out quickly, as I glanced around frantically. Had the medics not explained to them that I had been stabbed? Well…that made things a whole lot easier for me, but I wasn’t thinking fast enough. So I was lucky that James was finally evolving from bumbling idiot, to slightly less bumbling buffoon.

“It was!” he shouted out quickly, to which I just turned my awkward gawking stare to him. He had better of been going somewhere with this.

“I already told her that death trap was dangerous…told her she should have gotten rid of it ages ago.” He grumbled, “Actually…the bike was pretty damaged as well, took it down to the junkyard, don’t want Kara getting hurt now do we?” he asked.

So this was his plan, was it? Make me seem the fool, while he played the worrisome boyfriend. That was actually quite brilliant in itself, and it would make my parents like him all the more. But me on the other hand…I wasn’t too keen on being made the moron in the situation.

“Dad…c’mon, you know I’m trustworthy.” I grumbled, as I shook my head. “I barely ever do anything reckless and just this once I got into an accident. The doctor said that I’m going to be fine.” I muttered, as I frowned, my bicolored eyes staring up to my father. I wouldn’t glare at him, I couldn’t. Despite the fact that he had been rather controlling my entire childhood, didn’t change the fact that he had looked out for me more than anyone except for my brother Daniel.

I knew what my father wanted to do; he wanted to just have this situation disappear. He didn’t like dealing with problems, he was a care free sort of guy, at least he had been before he had gotten married and taken on more responsibilities.

Me and Daniel were close with him; I’d have always rather watched sports with my brother and dad, than gone out shopping with my mother. Not that I didn’t love her, that was far from it. I wasn’t exactly a daddy’s girl either…I liked being independent, and I couldn’t stand those spoiled brats that got whatever they wanted from their parents with the bat of an eyelash.

Growing up I earned my money and chores through allowance and part-time jobs. Not by asking my parents for everything, though I will admit I did ask for some things growing up. Hey, I’m only human. Even if I am rather fantastic and a master assassin, I still need my parents help sometimes. Like the time I bought a chicken, assuming it would be easy to cook. It ended up with me Skyping my mom, and basically having her help me through the entire situation.

Odd how human gore doesn’t bother me at all, yet I got slightly queasy at the thought of preparing a chicken dinner all by myself. Whatever, James ate it and he didn’t complain.

Anyways back to the situation at hand, I don’t want to go off rambling too badly on you guys now do I? That would just end in confusion, migraines and ibuprofen for all.

As my thoughts began to return to me, I found my eyes locking with my father’s. I didn’t want to get rid of my bike, though I did have two. The work bike and the…not work bike. I could never use my work bike out as myself though, so that would mean I’d have to go back to using the subway again, hopefully for a short amount of time. My bike cost less money to maintain than a subway schedule, and I did love the old thing.

There was an uncomfortable sigh from my father, and my mother glanced over at my quickly. I knew she would agree with whatever my father said. They had always seen eye-to-eye rather well, and I doubted that they were going to start going against each other this late on in their relationship.

“Kara…” he started, his voice was a bit stern, but there was still love there. He glanced me over one last time, before he glanced over to my mother, and then finally back over to James.

“You can keep the bike, but there are going to be a couple of rules alright?” he asked, as I nodded eagerly, my back pressed against the backboard of the hospital bed.

“For a month riding it is not allowed, but I’ll get you some money for the subway.” He said; I didn’t need it because of my job of course. But dad didn’t know about my job, so a bit of extra money wasn’t going to hurt, and it would keep my secret for all the longer.

“Also…get back to your apartment by eleven pm, for the next month as well. I’ll call at eleven to make sure you’re home, then you’re free to do whatever you like.” He said, as I nodded once more.

“Of course dad…” I said, eyes glancing over to him. That might be a bit problematic, but hey, I only had to be home at eleven. If he called any later and I didn’t pick up the phone, then he could assume that I was sleeping, so that wasn’t so bad.

“Also, your father and I discussed this in the car.” Said my mother, her voice strong for such a small woman. She was shorter than me, but most likely more powerful.

“We’re going to be staying at a hotel nearby to your apartment for a week. We’d stay with you…but your apartment isn’t really all that big, and we don’t want to impose on you, dear.” She said, offering me a soft smile. Before she glanced over to James, and leaned in close to me.

“Plus…I think your father likes your boyfriend, don’t even try to say he isn’t.” she muttered, as she gave a small smile, her voice quiet, but by the way James flushed slightly I knew he could hear the basic point of what she was saying.

“Plus…he’s really cute, a good catch, Kara.” She said which just ended up in my face shading over pink for a few moments, before going back to normal. I stole a quick glance from James, and smiled, before raising my voice so that everybody could here.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about mom, that guy over there is the biggest idiot I’ve met in my entire life.” I said, the grin that broke out across my face earning me a smile from everybody in the room.

This wasn’t so bad…no this wasn’t all that bad at all.

I haven't updated this story in a while, so here you go~

Thank you so much. :D

Oh, wow. c: Thank you so much. I'm actually waiting for the next part of the story to get approved by Teen ink. c: 

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

Great job! I hope you write more...PLEASE!

jazzie0499 said...
awsome story i love it:)