Barefoot and Crazy: part 1 | Teen Ink

Barefoot and Crazy: part 1

By Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

"You dont love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not"
— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

I gaze sleepily at the clock. Only 10 more minutes until the end of 4th block. I should probably mention that today is the last day of school and at exactly 2:20 the first day of summer. I feel a slight vibration in my right pants pocket and grab my phone carefully keeping it hidden. It’s a message from none other than Kyle Thompson my boyfriend of 6 months. I happen to be Emma White. I’m your classic popular blonde hair, blue eyes and athletic body type. “Emma I know schools almost over but try to stay awake for the last 5 minutes, then you’re free to just go crazy if you want.” “Yeah ok sorry Mrs. Jinger” I mumble. I glance at my phone to see Kyle’s message. Hey babe.. Can’t wait to see you… lets go for pizza?? Same old Kyle always hungry. I quickly type back a simple “sure” before I get caught. I zone into the teacher for a minute and hear her preaching about this summer and to be safe and blah blah. I’m sorry I could care less. All I care about is spending the summer at the beach were I happen to be a lifeguard with my boyfriend and hang with him all summer long. The bell rings and I dart out of the room where I am bombarded with paper flying everywhere as happy seniors travel down the halls planning parties to celebrate there final day of high school being over. Among them is Kyle. He is a senior and I am a junior. I try to find Kyle among the commotion and I am picked up from behind and put down. I turn around to find my hunky captain of the football team blonde hair blue eyed boyfriend. He kisses me romantically on the lips. And of course I kiss back. We hold hands as we continue are journey down the hall. Stopping to hug my friends goodbye and for him to slap fives with his team mates and friends. A few of our friends join in step with us as we head out of the school. Kyle is waiting a year to go to college so he can go with me. He got into the one I got a early scholarship for. We walk outside to his convertible mustang. We turn around and gaze at the school. As kids fly out of it. Kyle knows he won’t be coming back. Well of course except to pick me up everyday. We get in with the top down our friends in the back. We speed all the way to his brother Luke’s, girlfriends, uncles, pizza parlor. When we pull up everyone piles out of the car except Kyle. He says “Emma can you wait for a minute.” I sit back down as everyone goes back inside. I am afraid what he’ll say. “Baby you know I love you right?” “Yeah I do” I say. “Well I……” He loses words as he pulls out a shiny silver box. He hands it to me and says “Baby you’re my everything and I love you. This is a promise ring saying we will stay together forever.” I open the box to find a beautiful diamond ring that has our names engraved on it. I gasp out the word I needed right then “Yes.” We both smile as he puts the ring on me and we kiss passionately. We get out and holding hands and smiling walk into the parlor.

----------------------Week Later---------------------

I dream of walking the beach with my toes in the sand gazing dreamily at the sunset setting before my eyes when I hear a pit pat. I am jolted awake by the unfamiliar sound. I glance at my alarm clock and 12:02 flashes before my eyes. I lay still all I can hear is my heart beat when hear the pit pat again. It’s coming from the window I thought. It could be rain but my heart still gave that unsteady lurch. I tiptoe to my window and hastily peek outside. Standing below my window is Kyle Thompson. I smile and whisper to him “the ladders around back.” And he looks up and says quietly “I know.” I notice for the first time he already has it propped against my house. I open the window so he can climb in. He comes in and kisses me fiercely. When he stops he smiles at me with his amazingly cute sheepish grin. “Come on. Let’s go for a ride” he says. “I don’t know Kyle it’s late.” I look into his eyes and sullenly agree. I head to my closet and change into a pair of distressed jeans and my favorite barefoot and crazy shirt. We climb down the ladder and get into his car. We start driving down the highway in silence. I had no idea where we were going. We pull down Blander Ave and I immediately see a house party. Lights on music blaring and many cars. “N-no” I stutter. “What’s wrong babe. Its just a little party come on it will be fun.” He gets out and comes around and helps me out of the car. He hugs me and I notice something I didn’t before. He was drinking. I let him lead me into the house where many people where dancing, eating, and making out. He leads me to the kitchen and grabs a glass of beer from a keg. He says “Hold on I’ll be right back.” I watch as he walks up to a girl wearing skimpy clothes and kisses her in a non friendly way. I turn my head and walk briskly out of the house and reach for my cell phone. I call my best guy friend named Billy and pray he answers. I hear Kyle yelling my name in a violent way and run farther down the street and hide behind some trees. I call my dad again and on the 4th ring I hear a groggy “Hello.” “Billy”, I exclaim. “Emm, what’s wrong? Where are you at?” he demands. I see Kyle looking for me and he seems very angry and for once I am afraid of him. “Please help I went out with Kyle and he took me to a house party and he’s been drinking and he’s mad and I’m scared.” “Where’s the party at and I’ll come and get you.” “Go down the highway and turn into Marley Acres sub division. Then turn down Blander Ave. At that first group of trees that’s where I’m hiding.” “Ok I’ll be there as soon as I can.” We hang up and with my heart racing I peek out from behind the trees to see where he is. I see him. His face red from anger as he makes his way up and down the street looking for me. As he nears my hiding spot and as I crouch lower I see a familiar pick up truck turn the corner and stop right in front of me. I race out from my hiding spot and make my way to the truck. I trip on a branch as Kyle notices me and starts running my way. Billy jumps out and helps me in the truck. “She came here with me and I plan on taking her home” Kyle states angrily. “Nah man she’s going with me and your staying your hot headed drunk self here!” Kyle’s temper rages as he heads toward Billy with his fists raised. Kyle punches Billy and sends him flying. I can tell Billy’s nose is bleeding. Billy kicks Kyle and sends him to the ground. He then races to the truck and we drive off. He takes me home and I hug him and thank him for being my hero. I climb up the ladder and fall onto my bed and cry myself to sleep. The next morning I awake to the beeping of my computer when I have a message and the familiar “beep beep beeeep” of my phone when I have texts. I open them up and see I have a million from Kyle. I don’t think I’m going answer anything from right now. I call Billy and tell him lets head to the beach. He comes picks me up and we drive toward the setting sun. “So much for being Barefoot and Crazy this summer” I laugh.

WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

This is excellent! I really love this; your work is amazing. By the way, would you mind reading my fiction story, "Map of Dreams"? It's divided into two chapters because it's somewhat long but I think you would really like it.

Tayyyyy SILVER said...
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

Thank you so much!! I have the problem of not finishing my stories but for yall to say it was good! Lol thanks again!!

Tayyyyy SILVER said...
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

Thank you so much!! I have the problem of not finishing my stories but for yall to say it was good! Lol thanks again! And ill def look at your work! ;D

Tayyyyy SILVER said...
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

foreverwelsh BRONZE, Cardiff, Other

"Thin, like butter over too much bread" JRR Tolkien

Don't put yourself down! I wish I could write like that! You're amazing!

Sweatheart SILVER, BPT, Connecticut

I can do anything

dont be so be insecure about ur writng i really liked it keep on writing and can you please comment on my work too but anyways good story u have talent

Lexi-pex GOLD said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 8:42 am
Lexi-pex GOLD, Billingham, Other

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

I really liked it! and don' t put yourself down! it was really good. keep writing!

Tayyyyy SILVER said...
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

Can you guys please comment this and tell me what i need to change and stuff. I know its not very good but could someone please give me advice.