The Hunt | Teen Ink

The Hunt

April 16, 2023
By mariclairemurray BRONZE, Pittsford, New York
mariclairemurray BRONZE, Pittsford, New York
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

The Hunt 
The hot sun was beating down on the island and the long days kept dragging on. The children continued to do their tasks, with Jack out hunting for pigs. Simon helped the littluns gather food and Ralph oversaw all the children doing their tasks. Piggy had finished working on the huts, and because of the extreme heat he decided to go for a walk. 
 The jungle was beautiful and bright; the emerald and moss colored foliage illuminated his path as he trekked through the creepers. He could hear the enthusiastic birds singing their songs up in the trees as the sun streamed through like a golden thread. It was calm and peaceful and Piggy liked it that way. He enjoyed exploring the jungle and was fascinated by the different exotic animals and plants that he was new to, now on the island.  As he was walking, he came across the other animals in the jungle. He noted the small frogs, spotted with unique colors and patterns, and he was mesmerized by the monkeys yelling at each other as they swung from tree branch to tree branch. Piggy gathered different things he found to be practical for the group. He came across a plant with a sticky substance which he thought would be useful for building shelters. He also found long rigid branches that could be helpful to the littluns while collecting the fruit and other vegetation high up in the trees, out of their reach. 
Piggy had spent enough time studying the jungle and was now heading back to the beach and to the others when he saw Jack in the distance. Walking a little closer he saw him around a timid young pig chanting “Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.” over and over again like he had done the days before. Piggy knelt down behind a tree watching him, too scared to get any closer. Not trying to get in the way of Jack and his peculiar rituals, he turned around and decided to go back to the beach a different way. 
The once beautiful jungle now was silent and appeared lifeless. The birds had stopped their singing and the sun gleamed not as bright. Piggy kept walking, trying not to panic from the sudden unsettling shift in the jungle. He heard the leaves and branches crinkle behind him as if someone was following in his path. He felt the presence of the beast linger beyond the tall trees and the creepers deep in the forest. He listened to the littluns discuss the beast in the assembly the day before, not believing their foolish remarks, but now being in the jungle with the possibility of it roaming was different. It was frightening and discomforting, and he tried not to think much of it but walked a little faster, being vigilant of the surrounding jungle.  
He peered over his shoulder to find Jack not where he was before, chanting around the pig, but now running on all fours toward Piggy. Although very difficult for his physique Piggy started to run, scared for his life. “Ralph!” he shouted “Ralph! Simon! Help!”. Jack was charging at him hungry to kill, before just a pig but now a person. Piggy felt the presence of the beast creeping up on him and ran as fast as his small fat body could, dodging the stubborn fallen trees on the jungle's surface and the overgrown brush. Jack was filthy and his long hair almost covered his eyes, and Piggy could see the evil in his eyes as he sprinted towards him, determined to kill. 
Jack usurpingly caught up to him, but he noticed that Jack only had a knife on him, realizing he would have to get close enough to stab or kill him. He grabbed one of the long bamboo sticks he had found earlier and tried to defend himself, poking and stabbing Jack in his thin abdomen trying to slow him down and lengthen the distance between the two boys. 
“Get away Jack!’’ yelled Piggy as they continued running. 
“Shut up you fatty” responded Jack. 
“You ought to be crazy. You’re trying to kill me!” 
 He kept running trying to reach the beach and the others before he would be killed by Jack, but he began to slow down, not being able to keep up with his heart beating rapidly in his chest. He couldn’t shout for Ralph or Simon any longer, he couldn’t get the words out of his mouth. His chest felt like it was being torn apart and ached in pain. He tried to run; he really did not want to become another one of Jacks prey, but he couldn’t, his legs gave out from underneath him. He saw the vivid cerulean sky painted with white clouds and the overarching trees above him start to spiral. He grabbed a tree branch to help stabilize him as he felt his body collapsing, but he hit the ground with a loud thud and lay silent in the darkness.  
 
 


The author's comments:

This is a creative writing piece, based on the book Lord of the Flies by Willaim Golding.